Dr Metz' prognosis: "The operation was a success, but the patient died."

    There were a lot of good signs, to me, from last nights game. We came
into an enemy arena, a playoff team, well coached and took it to them for
three quarters. We hustled and scrapped on defense, pounded the boards and
did a pretty good job of moving the ball and getting good shots.
    At the very end of the third quarter, with a 12 point lead, Heinsohn
noticed a complete slowdown. A bunch of tired guys walking up court, behind
Kenny Anderson. He voiced frustration and commented that they needed to keep
running and be aggressive, if they were going to win. It was too early to
punch the time clock. He was right. The team slipped into a coma and lost
the game, but in my mind, they proved they were/are the better team and come
playoff time (if we get there) this Toronto team would not scare me.
    Of course, the fourth quarter was a disaster.
   While Walker was fairly efficient for most of the evening, I'm not
satisfied with his game, just because he hits a few threes. 7 turnovers and
complete lack of aggression on the boards, to go with very little creativity
(or even a non-existent passing game) do not make an All-Star. Pierce shot
hideously. He was active and intense on defense, for most of the game, but
his shot selection is getting worse. I know he's injured, but he should
understand those limitations. A heave, is a heave, is a heave.........
   The whole team just shut  down too early. Wallace and O'Brien had better
take notice. If Palacio and Blount can't help in games like these, coming
before the back end of an even tougher, "back to back," they need to be
released immediately. The  rookies, I believe, would have been an
improvement over what we had on the floor, but I guess it's too much to
expect O'Brien to play them while a lead is dwindling. I guess the point is
to mix them in a bit more early, when things are going well, so the starters
are rested, if you need them later. Joe Johnson showed some life and you
could see how useless he was tucked in the corner, but how vibrant, out in
the open floor.
   Eric Williams is wasted in a starting role.
   Battie played like an All-star for three periods.
   The All-Star break is coming at a good time, the injured and tired
players can get some rest. If Pierce's injury is what is causing his recent
woes, perhaps they should consider him shutting it down for the week (yeah,
right). Remember, you heard it here first: my perception of the re-injury,
against Millwaukee, was that it is more serious than a sprain. As I said, it
looked like a break, or bone spurs. Let's hope not.
   Four games coming up. None of which we will be favored to win. Then the
All-Star break and the seven game western trip. I wish Wallace would go out
and get a few more players.
   Last night's game could wind up being symbolic of the whole season. After
a strong start, due to great effort, from the whole team, they just run out
of gas and  never make the finish line. The signs are there Chris. The
engine is laboring, but the crew is still willing, like an old horse with a
big heart, but it won't run forever.
        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !