Re: Reverse psychology.

on 2/1/02 7:04 AM, Dan Forant at dforant1@nycap.rr.com wrote:

> Trade our Captain. Are you serious??  JJ has to learn to fit the team, not
> the team fit him. He certainly is in a slump and we can't afford to give him
> the time doing *what he may do best* by sacrificing scoring of others. He
> needs to do just what he's doing, sitting and learning, I hope.
>
> DanF
       **********
   No, on the surface, I wasn't really serious (see the title of the post.)
I had been overly optimistic before the Milwaukee game and was trying some
voodoo.
   On the other hand, I am frustrated by the lack of ball movement and
assists, when Walker plays on the perimeter (pass in to Pierce, or heave a
three, is the limit) and have seen a real stagnation in his inside game.
   While I am not yet ready to consider something so drastic; (trading a
greater talent for a lessor one, but one with with more traditional skills)
but as they say, sometimes you have to strike; "while the iron is hot."
   As long as the direction is towards unselfish, team play, which O'Brien
has been able to make the team focus on, after tough losses, I want Walker
as the cornerstone, but as soon as the direction changes (and I'm afraid of
a long losing streak), I would pull the trigger fast. One player shooting
5-25, on each team, is enough.
   Walker as point guard/offense initiator may have cost us Khalid El-Amin,
Jaques Vaughn, or some other free agent point guard ("Palacio is fine, we
have Walker to run the offense"). It may even have cost us Tinsley/Parker (
"we don't need to draft a traditional point guard, we have Walker to run the
offense").

        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !