Re: Mercy

From: Cecil <cecil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I thought the team played very hard in the 2nd half and had EWill hit the
layup off the inbounds play, they may well have pulled this one out. My
biggest complaint is when we fight back like that, by driving to the hoop,
and take the lead by a point with a few minutes left, we seem content to
fire away from downtown when the shot is not falling, while the refs are
rewarding us for driving.
Yeah. Obie seems content to play the more general percentages rather than game-specific ones. I mean, he's always thinking the three is a good shot for the team to take, rather than what seemed to be working in this game, which was penetrating. Seems to me, that, because of match-ups, streaks, and what-have-you, it'd be better to go with whatever's working. Though clearly you can out-think yourself on that one, as well.

It "boiled down" to a lot of plays, though: if Shammond had recovered quicker on defense, he might have bothered McGrady's last shot; Pierce could get a call on his last shot, or drive to the basket, and of course, the EWill gimme you mentioned. Lot's of things, because in a game this close you can look at any few plays and say they're critical. It was a tough one, that way.

The team's definitely going through a rough patch, but who can really say this is a surprise? Haven't we seen this throughout Obie's tenure? The C's hit the skids, the list undergoes mass hysteria, the C's recover. Yet that being said, it'd be nice to see a turnaround and quickly. I don't know exactly what must be done, but getting a few more guys into the rotation (and another actual NBA player or two -- see below), like Kedrick Brown (when healthy enough) and a more hands-on approach to the the offensive scheme by someone or three on that massive coaches' bench might be a good place to start.

Because we can't keep playing the two main guys 45 minutes a freaking game and expect them to be fresh later in the season. And, while I see flashes of defense like last year and I secretly think it's possible to replicate that this season, sometimes the C's offense crawls to an agonizingly miniscule efficiency. It's fine, I guess, if the Saturation Bombing Method is the plan, but there's got to be room for a strategy that depends less on volume at the end of close games. And, while sometimes the C's offense flows freely, sometimes they can get nothing going because they lack off-the-ball movement. It's fine to let Walkerpierce initiate the offense, even with a one-on-one move, I think, as long as the other four guys have a balance of spacing (for shooters) and moving without the ball (non-shooters, or in Obie's system, Tony Battie).

As for acquiring more talent, I usually don't like to give any credence to these sorts of off-the-cuff remarks in newspapers, mostly because they're rarely actualized, but ... if the Boston Celtics acquire Dana Barros again, I'll definitely blow a gasket. Or have a coniption fit. One or the other. Or possibly I may go for the myocardial infarction, which may require the use of a defibrillator to restore my normal heartbeat. But seriously, I'll reconsider that whole "Chris Wallace's Mental Capacity" question if he signs 35-year old Dana Barros. Lordy, I don't even know what he brings to the table, as I was less than impressed by the mention in the paper of his three-point prowess and his "fitness craze". I do know that I'd take a lot less cash to chuck threes and let, at 6'0", guys shoot over me. Much, much less.

But he'll never grab Barros, will he? I still can't make myself think Barros signs with this team. Or maybe I just hope it, really, really hard.

Bird