The Williams duo etc.

For one of the first times I've seen, Eric Williams made
several outstanding individual defensive plays (steals
off the dribble etc.), to augment his reputation as a
great "team" defensive player. He had an outstanding
weekend for the C's, to say the least.

Meanwhile Shammond Williams' struggles continued, and he
got schooled by Charlie Ward on two occasions.

Opposition defenses seem to have found away to take his
open looks away.

To wit, Shammond has been held to less than half his
scoring average in the past six games, on 9-30 shooting
(.300).

Those numbers resemble the Seattle stats that landed him
on the bench. I guess I'm typical fatalistic Boston fan,
but I hope the bubble doesn't pop (like it eventually did
for Adrian Griffin and Joe Johnson after equally
promising starts).

But here's something I noticed (maybe others have too) in
the six-game slump. To Shammond's great credit, he has
had three games with 5 or more assists in that span, to
the tune of an outstanding 4:1 assist-turnover ratio.

Moreover, at least on one night, Vin Baker thankfully
held up his side of the so far lopsided Seattle trade,
which has been good for a nightly 16+ ppg added to
Boston's rotation.

Whatever direction Shammond's season takes after his
fantastic start, at least we look solid at that position
when Tony Delk is on the floor. And I do think Shammond
will start making his shots again.

The other notable slump trend is Antoine Walker's free
throws. Its brutal to watch from game to game. He's 28-55
in the past 11 games.

And he's been a bit of a showboat with his passing too,
averaging 4.5 turnovers so far this month, compared to
barely 3 per game prior to December.

He hasn't been so much sloppy as more risk-taking. In
fact, if I didn't notice the turnover stats, I'd say he
is more of a dangerous weapon than ever with his passing.

I'm sure he picked up a few All Star votes in New York
last night, and he made a number of slick passes that
weren't assists even if he didn't record another triple.

(He did get his 13th career triple on Friday the 13th,
which is kind of cool I suppose.)

Walker's passing is erratic but dazzling, like LeBron
James in that ESPN game. Both guys have a similar way of
flicking blind alley passes with great velocity, using
only wrist action.

It doesn't excuse his FT shooting, which is a genuinely
troubling trend, but Antoine is on another huge December
tear in terms of his FG shooting.

In the last five games, Walker has shot .482 (54/112) and
upped his scoring to 28.0 ppg. He's a player of the week
candidate, going into tonight.

Another positive trend - Paul Pierce's inexplicable early
ballhandling woes seem to be largely behind him, if you
ask me. I haven't really thought about or noticed the
problem in quite some time....maybe a few weeks?

For Pierce, this year's Knicks have been much like last
year's regular season Nets. They are a slump breaker. He
has scored at will against them, for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what's going on with the "Sundov Music"
experiment.

Sundov, who to his shame is not close to Vin's level on
defense, again got rotated in twice by Obie with the
regulars.

In his favor, Bruno does have a nice outside shot, which
he is far too hesitant about taking, plus he has been a
solid tip-in artist unless the paint gets really crowded.
But his footwork isn't good at all, on either end.

On defense, I can't imagine Sundouche blocking or
altering shots, in part because his defensive intensity
still seems 50% below everyone else so far including
Baker or Kedrick. He plays defense as though he was just
added to the Boston roster yesterday.

But he is tall and great for offensive spacing. I don't
fully understand Obie's thinking.

Meanwhile, I get the sense that the Celtics vets play a
bit of keep-away from Kedrick. In his first game back a
week ago, Walker and others basically ignored him when he
was open on the perimeter, perhaps out of solidarity with
Walt, whose playing time is at stake. Frankly, I can
understand that. As long as we're winning, every member
of the eight man rotation deserves to play.

Maybe it's a Kentucky thing (including Obie).

Kedrick's never going to impress anyone playing four
minutes of garbage time with Bremer running the point.
Everyone will be looking for their own shot, and that's
not really his thing.

I actually think the scorekeeper was generous in giving
his four minutes. It seemed like less than that.
Considering that Pierce definitely did something to his
knee (the replays clearly show it buckled), I can't see
why Obie kept the starters in there so long with a 25-
point lead. Kedrick was basically the last guy off the
bench. But we won the game, which is all that matters.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?