Re: "He's going to have a lot to prove"

>Ya know, this was an interesting read with credibility until he got to this
bit of >>idiocy. I hate it when people say something's OK by comparing it to
not >>comparable things (but Mommy, everyone else is doing it). Baseball and
hockey >>have true minor leagues where high school draftees are almost 100%
guaranteed >>to spend time until they are ready for the pros (if they don't
go to college despite >>being drafted), which rather negates the comparison.

  I know Kim.  I feel the same way.
Also, people love to bring up sports like tennis, golf, figure skating,
gymnastics and so on that involve kids even younger.  These sports are all
individual competitions with the ability to get good coaching and guidance
built in to the system and the choice of where and when to enter
competitions.  You aren't out on the road three-fourths of the year playing
in a different city every night with no individual training to better
yourself.
But the major difference in my mind is those kids earn their pay days.  They
work their way up the system and then they compete against the best.  If they
don't produce they don't get paid.  Basketball "guarantee's" them money
because of "potential". If they don't live up to expectations, well, see you
later.  You're on your own.  It just seems so backwards.

TAM