Re: Vin Baker

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
NBA makes call: Battie out one game

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 12/11/2002

{Excerpts}

''I said this to Vin in front of the team,'' said O'Brien. ''I thought
the last six or seven games his defense has become very, very solid. I
have always maintained that as soon as his defense gets to the level of
the guys who are returning from last year's team, that will be the
start of nothing but good things. I think he's getting there. I thought
he played very, very good basketball [against Orlando].

''The ONLY REASON (caps are mine) he wasn't in at the end of the game
... I like to
have guys that were there last year and won a lot of games in the
clutch for us defensively on the floor. That's why I had Eric[
Williams], Walt [ McCarty], and Antoine[ Walker], even though it's a
small front line. They understand how crazed they have to be at the end
of the game defensively in order to come back in the fourth quarter.''