Re: Why the Celtics will conquer.

defense. Orlando was
> red hot most of the game with the Celts keeping their
cool and hanging in.
> Overtime Celts were energized and took over. I don't
know if I ever saw
> Toine beat or tired. Orlando put a lot of effort into
this game and came
> away disheartened. Just the way we like it.
>
> DanF

I agree last night was an excellent result. A lot is made
of Orlando giving up a soft .459 FG% (pretty horrible),
but that is a classic deceptive stat.

The Magic have lost four games this year by 42, 33, 27
and 25 points.

As we know from our first Wiz game, those kinds of
results can badly skew team stats. We're still talking
about a team that came in with just one fewer win than
Boston.

McGrady and Grant Hill have a much higher efficiency in
FG% than Antoine and Pierce, while impressively averaging
nearly the same number of points + assists. Mike Miller
is averaging over 20ppg over the past 8 games or so. That
guy has the sweetest shot since Chris Mullin, and a
complete game that includes a 19-rebound game this year.

You could sense how badly the Magic wanted to win last
night. They are a highly competitive team, and worked
hard at times to clearly disrupt Boston's offensive flow.
And man did they crash the boards. It was a nice win.

Ultimately, the better and more determined team won
again. Doc Rivers has to start both Pat Garrity and Shawn
Kemp, because that's by far the best they have at those
key positions. He had so many scrappy role players a few
years back. I have a sense that the Magic could be a
truly elite team with a few minor upgrades in talent.
Imagine what a Tony Battie would mean to that team.
McGrady is scary talented.

With the win, Celtics are back up to .750 at home (9-3).

On the road they've lost three games, best in the EC and
one more than NBA road wins leader Dallas (9-2). Its
clear there are very few great road teams this year.

Eric Williams earlier talked about a team goal to win six
or seven out of each ten game stretch.

Last night, they completed a second straight 7-3 run. It
all started with the New Jersey win, and included several
more good results which I'm sure you all remember.

Getting that 7th win was ideal, because its obviously
easier for a team to completely erase a 6-4 run with a 4-
6 slump (given that four wins is just a win shy of .500
ball). By comparison, going 3-7 seems less likely.

The Celtics and Eric Williams should aim to take at least
six of the next ten, to reach 20 wins before the end of
the calendar year. If that happens, Memphis at home could
be the 21st win.

Here's what the next ten look like, with the opponent's
home or road record bracketed.

Phoenix (1-7 road)
Cleveland (1-12)

@New York (4-7 home)
@Chicago (4-3)

Miami (2-9)
Minnesota (6-7)

@Cleveland (2-7)
@New Jersey (10-1)
@Miami (3-6)
@Orlando (7-3)

It looks deceptively easy, but beware. There are three
back-to-backs and six road games. We'll learn something
about our team this month.

Last year, the Celtics were the Boys of December, reeling
off a 10-2 run to climb from 7-6 to 17-8.

Those were the days when Walker and Pierce would
routinely score 60 points between them. Pierce had a 48
point game, Walker had a 42 point game and a 17 rebound
game in that stretch.

Now that we are finally a "real team", one small point of
concern is Shammond Williams, who is shooting 4-16 in the
past three games. I keep waiting for the bubble to burst,
but I love the confidence Shammond has in his approach to
the game. Let's hope his teammates can help him get out
of that mini-slump with a few crisp passes.

Eric Williams is shooting .536 this month, to climb up to
nearly 47% from the field. That guy really knows how to
pick his spots.

Waltah is .250 (7-28) on treys over the past 12 games,
after being among the league leaders over the first
month. Most of his shots are wide right.

But apart from distance shooting, he's been amazing at
times and nearly error free. He's such a noticeable part
of the Celtics defensive intensity and success.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?