Re: ? on Walker

On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 03:01  PM, hironaka@nomade.fr wrote:

> If you take only Antoine's top post plays this year, he
> looks like a one-of-a-kind hall of famer, creating
> something from nothing with his dribbles and spins.

		JoeH
		**************************
	Aside from his  obvious work over the summer, on his dribbling/ball
handling, this is the other marked improvement in Walker's game.
	Tommy H., has pleaded for years, for some head and shoulder/up fakes;
we are now seeing the effectiveness, of same, as well as some crossing
under the basket moves, which deny the defensive player access to the
ball.
	With his dribbling improvement, he is often able to beat the first
man, before throwing the fakes on the second one.
	Could it be that Joe Gallagher: "Mr. Post Game," is there to earn a
paycheck, not as a payback, for favors  offered to a young Mr. O'Brien
during his early coaching career?
	While we're looking towards the post, I was watching for some plays to
Mr. Baker last night and while I should have learned, never to
contradict Tammo and I've only seen a hand full of games, it seems that
Antoine, particularly, will not throw the pass to Vin, underneath, even
if he is wide open. Is this a difficult pass? Dennis Johnson made a
living at it for a few years here, with no other apparent point guard
skills.
	I saw Baker,  last night, way down on the block, all alone and Walker
just stared at him, as if he wasn't there.
	Paul and Antoine control the ball and who sees it. When they feel like
shooting, as they did in the second half last night, they often pass up
open team mates, to play one-on-one. Maybe that's why he is coming out
to throw his picks? At least he's being productive and not sulking,
about his 2-3 touches a game.
	All those who say he is washed up and has lost his skills, look no
farther than his block on Sprewell, last night. As the announcer said,
he was up to the middle of the glass.
	Someone mentioned that the All-star game coming up in January would
change the way the captains were playing. Interestingly, as that
deadline approaches, Walker's assists  keep falling and Pierce's keep
rising. Guess who, as of this AM, is leading the Celtics in assists ?
	The most effective offense last night? Delk, to Walker, just over the
half court arc; Walker to Pierce halfway between the arc and the lane
and Paul driving to attract a crowd and finding the open man under the
hoop, or on the perimeter, if the inside option was not there.
	I wish he had kept it up. He might have had twenty assists instead of
only eight. This would seem to be what o'Brien is talking about, in
regard to Pierce's game and unselfishness. If this is going to become a
trend, we will be a tough team to beat, because the minute the defense
sags off Pierce, he will make them pay and his shooting % will  be
higher than it's ever been.

		JB

	Unchain My Heart !