Globe - Springer in the Winter

< Before a sellout crowd (18,624) that often sounded more like
a couple thousand...>   - Springer

WHY?  The Celts are doing well, so why are they losing overall
fan interest along with poster board interest?  Strangely, the
more games we win, the less enthused our fans seem.

Do we just not understand how so many wrongs can make a right?

Egg

--------------
CELTICS 91, KNICKS 80
Early-bird special

Celtics take away all suspense, coast home

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 12/7/2002

When the Knicks cut the Celtics' lead to 14 points late in the fourth
quarter, coach Jim O'Brien walked down the sideline, turned to his
players, and told them, ''Don't get too comfortable yet, guys.''

But last night at the FleetCenter, it was an unnecessary warning.
The Celtics appeared to learn their lesson after a spate of close
games. Apparently, they had played in their fill of games that
came down to the final few possessions. They had squandered
enough early double-digit leads.

Before a sellout crowd (18,624) that often sounded more like a
couple thousand, Boston turned a 10-point halftime advantage
into an 18-point lead at the end of the third quarter. It proved
enough of a cushion.  After using players not in the normal rotation
for much of the fourth, the Celtics secured a 91-80 victory with
relative ease. There would be no repeat of the collapse that stung
the Celtics in their most recent loss at Philadelphia.

''We came into the half and said, `We can't let up,''' said Paul Pierce
(19 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists). ''We had the momentum going into
the half, so we wanted to just try to come out and put a little bit
more pressure on them, get into running, take advantages of the
mismatches, and not let up.''

In the third quarter, the Celtics set the tone for a second half in
which the Knicks would never have a chance to rally. Boston held
New York to 27.8 percent from the floor (5 for 18). While Allan
Houston scored all 7 of his points in the third, Latrell Sprewell
(15 points) was held to a single field goal. The Celtics also
outrebounded the Knicks, 14-5, during the decisive third and
saw Pierce pick up his scoring.

Boston extended its halftime lead with an 11-2 run in which Tony
Battie, Antoine Walker, Pierce, Tony Delk, and Shammond Williams
contributed. The spurt started with a dunk from Battie (11 points)
off a nice feed from Pierce. Then, Walker (25 points) followed
with a hook shot and Pierce hit an 11-footer. Delk continued to be
hot from outside, hitting a 20-footer. By the end of the run, Boston
held a 19-point lead (66-47). The Celtics went ahead by as many
as 22 points (75-53) after Baker hit a pair of free throws with 33.1
seconds remaining in the third.

''It was a great third quarter for us,'' said O'Brien. ''It was a great
end of the second quarter and then we came out and really shut them
down defensively with our best defensive effort of the game in the
third quarter.''

With an overwhelming Boston advantage heading into the fourth,
O'Brien had his first chance to play Kedrick Brown. It was the first
time the swingman had seen action since Oct. 10, when he sprained
his ankle in an exhibition game. Brown clearly wanted to make a
contribution early, fighting for a rebound after the Knicks missed
their first shot of the quarter.

Other than Brown, Bruno Sundov, and J.R. Bremer getting minutes,
the fourth quarter was unremarkable and sloppy. By the time O'Brien
huddled his team for a timeout with 5 minutes 48 seconds remaining
and a 21-point advantage (87-66), the Celtics were largely a
distracted bunch.

''Putting teams away is something that we emphasized that we
need to do,'' said Delk (20 points, 6 rebounds). ''We wanted to leave
Philly as a learning experience, you want to learn a lesson. Obviously,
at the end of the season you hope that game doesn't come back and
hurt you because this division is so tough that it's going to come
down to one or two games to get home-court advantage. So, we
definitely have to bounce back, and when we get in big games we
have to learn how to put people away.''

The crowd grew increasingly restless and frustrated as the first
half progressed. New York may be a different team since the
return of Sprewell from a broken right hand. The Knicks may have
arrived in Boston having won three of their last four. But local
fans still expected a relatively easy win. Instead, Sprewell and
friends proved pesky opponents early on.

The Celtics did not start to separate themselves from the Knicks
until the final two minutes of the second quarter. Boston closed
the first half with a 6-0 run to enter the break with a 48-38 lead
and momentum. The spurt started with a Walker free throw,
continued with a layup from Baker, and concluded with a Delk
3-pointer.

''This is a disappointing loss because of the lack of energy, effort,
and concentration,'' said Houston. ''We just gave in at some point.''

This story ran on page C1 of the Boston Globe on 12/7/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.