"All we can do is make an educated guess"

Nothing new here but the article once again makes the understated point it
just doesn't make sense for any GM to be made to restrict spending to an
unknown $$ figure that won't be known for 11 months from now. Seems to me
that the league office could establish a firm luxury tax threshold right now
tied to a percentage of the salary cap; say 133% or 135% or 150%. Take the
guess work out of the process and open up player movement. Otherwise, FA
signings will be at glacier speed as we inch toward training camp. Too may
decent players are being squeezed right now as things stand.

I guarantee you when this CBA is up for a new vote in a couple more years the
luxury tax issue (and the escrow tax) will be hotly contested by the players.
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering how much of the escrow tax collected from
player salaries has been diverted as seed money to fund the WNBA?

<A HREF="http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/sunday/sports_d3f5739037e2103b1060.html";>Atlanta Journal-Constitution: ajc.com: INSIDE THE NBA</A>
http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/sunday/sports_d3f5739037e2103

b1060.html

INSIDE THE NBA
Jeffrey Denberg - Staff
Sunday, August 18, 2002

Executives play guessing game

At least one NBA top executive would never buy a car without checking prices.
Funny then how league executives operate under a punitive tax that is imposed
only after the fact.

"The idea is to encourage teams to keep [their payroll] low," Hawks president
Stan Kasten said.

"All we can do is make an educated guess," vice president and general manager
Pete Babcock said last week.

With the exception of three teams --- Portland at $96.76 million, New York at
$75.5 million and Dallas at $63.38 --- the NBA brethren are trying to operate
under the luxury tax limit. To cross the line is to invite a
dollar-for-dollar tax. The problem for teams like Atlanta that are flirting
at the luxury tax line is that it's all ex post facto. The NBA will not
reveal the number until next July after all of this season's revenues have
been counted.

The best guess, Babcock says, has the line at a low of $51 million to as much
as $54 million. Since the salary cap was lowered to $40 million, chances are
the luxury tax will kick in at a lower level.

There is double jeopardy here because teams over the line play a dollar
penalty for each dollar they exceed the limit, but they also are excluded
from the distribution of luxury tax dollars that go back to those teams that
remain under the tax line. Today there are 12 teams below a $50 million
salary level, ranging from San Antonio at $47.3 million to the Los Angeles
Clippers at $22.5 million. Of course, both teams have only 10 of their
required 12 players under contract.

Kasten says his team payroll now exceeds $54 million. The Hawks won't have a
firm cap number until the expected signing of swingman Ira Newble, who wants
more than the team is willing to pay.

Babcock said he does not believe another team is competing for Newble's
services. "We have right of first refusal, anyway," Babcock said.

Luxury tax fears restrict a player like Newble, who has little bargaining
power. More established players like Rodney Rogers, Keon Clark and Matt
Harpring also have met with sharp resistance. Rodgers and Clark were
basically told to go shopping.

Rodgers landed a three-year, $9.9 million contract with the Nets after
helping the Celtics to the Eastern Conference finals. Toronto declined to
exercise an option on Clark, who got the Kings' $4.5 million middle-class
exception for a year; Harpring signed a four-year deal with Utah reportedly
in the $18-19 million range.

Wins, not minutes

Milwaukee intends to limit Toni Kukoc to 18-20 minutes a game as a back-up
forward, hoping to keep his game sharp and his body whole in anticipation of
a return to the playoffs.

"If we're winning the games, that would be great,"' Kukoc said on a visit to
Milwaukee last week. Kukoc added he would live with 10 minutes, "if we're
winning the games. That's the most important thing I've learned in
basketball. As long as you're winning the games, it doesn't matter how much
you play. Winning covers everything."

Of the trade that sent him, Leon Smith and a 2003 draft pick to the Bucks for
Glenn Robinson, Kukoc said, "I guess it's a good thing. I don't really know.
It's all positive. I think the team is good and ready to play good
basketball."

No stopping Shaq

If the Nets acquired Dikembe Mutombo's three-year, $46 million contract with
thoughts of knocking off the Lakers next June, they had to be disappointed
with this honest assessment by their new center: "I still believe that Shaq
[O'Neal\] is unstoppable," Mutombo said at a news conference.

"When you see someone of his caliber, playing on that level, moving the way
he moves, all you can do is take the hat off to him, because he's a great
basketball player and he continues to improve night after night. Many people
thought maybe he would slow down, but he hasn't slowed down. That's all it
is."

Speaking of O'Neal, if he has surgery on his arthritic toe, he may be
unavailable when the Hawks visit the Lakers on Nov. 12, the final stop of
their five-game, early-season Western trip.

CeltsSteve