Re: Hardaway/Strickland; Cheap Gaston

From: CeltsSteve@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 8/16/02 1:46:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
birdwl@earthlink.net writes:

> I guess I'd be pretty surprised to see more than 12 players on the roster
> for the C's. Adding one of the two guys you mentioned and a point would
> be outstanding, but I think Walter McCarty was our "free agent" big man
> signing, and Erick Strickland will be the "free agent" point signed.
>
> (Both of these guys would go in the top 20 in this year's draft, so it'
> like getting two more draft picks!)

Is it going to happen? I'd say at this point, only Gaston and Wallace know
for sure. I do think they need to carry at least 13 players to protect
against injuries of course butalso to make sure they can get in full 5 on 5
practices and allow one sub for each team.
Good point. Yes, the only thing wrong with a 13-man roster is the money it costs to keep that 13th guy. And that is exactly why it won't happen. There's a lot of speculation about whether most teams will go with only twelve guys or not, and I wonder how many really will. Anyway, there's *always* an injury; it seems to me that if the C's only carry 12, and someone goes down, than most likely the team will pick up a CBA- or NBDL-type or some guy off waivers or something. I thought the whole point was to garner talent so that that wasn't necessary.

If the team only carries 12 for strictly money reasons, I think that's counterproductive, and may be an example of Gaston's fiscal restrictions hurting the team. It's not like the team couldn't use that 13th guy to shore up a few positions: PG, maybe another big man.

You're last commentt makes me wonder if you aren't really Leo Papille. :-
)
"It's not a rip-off, it's an homage!", as it were... .

Erick Strickland *is* a "jump shot away" (as in, I'd like to see him pull up for a few) from being a really good guard, and JR Bremer *did* light up Shaws, and we did sign Bruno Sundov, and *he's* like a top Ten draft pick, and ...

Oy vey, I can't wait for at least the preseason to start ... actually I'd settle for training camp.

Bird