Daily News

Mitch Lawrence calls Rogers "a standstill shooter with a
history of weight problems" and says the Exit 16W's "have
gotten older and slower with their three major offseason
moves."

http://nydailynews.com/front/v-pfriendly/story/11051p-
10417c.html
Nets jolly to add Rogers
By MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Thursday, August 15th, 2002

First there was veteran guard Chris Childs. Then, the
graybeard of graybeards, Dikembe Mutombo. And now, the
nine-year journeyman forward, Rodney Rogers.

See a trend here? For the Nets, it's receding hairlines
and old knees covered with icepacks. After running their
way to the Eastern Conference championship last season,
they've gotten older and slower with their three major
offseason moves.

Gone are Keith Van Horn, 26, Todd MacCulloch, 26, and
Anthony Johnson, 28. OK, so there are no Carl Lewises in
that trio. But the players the Nets have added - Mutombo
maintains he's 36, Childs is almost 35 and Rogers is 31 -
are all walk-it-up halfcourt players.

The Nets' spin is that they've still got speed to burn
with Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, Kenyon Martin and
Kerry Kittles. They also think that the addition of the
three vets brings much-needed toughness and a wealth of
postseason experience. On paper, the Nets will be favored
to repeat as conference champions, something that hasn't
happened since Michael Jordan's Bulls in 1998.

"We've added players who have played in a lot of big
games before, and I think that will help," team president
Rod Thorn said. "We had great chemistry last year. How
these moves affect that, we won't know until we get on
the court and see how the different personalities mesh."

Added coach Byron Scott: "We still have our youthfulness,
but we've added the experience of older guys who know
what it takes to get back to the Finals."

Just don't look for the second unit to run opponents off
the floor. Rogers, who signed yesterday for three years
at around $9.3 million, is a standstill shooter with a
history of weight problems. He wants to start, but Scott
already has given the job to Jefferson.

How did the Nets end up with Rogers when Minnesota had
more money to offer? The Timberwolves could have started
Rogers at around $4.5 million with the mid-level
exception - a figure his agent, James Williams, insisted
on - compared to the $2.75 million he'll get from the
Nets in year two.

But the T-Wolves ultimately decided that Rogers wasn't
worth the entire mid-level figure. They tried selling him
on splitting the mid-level so that they could also sign
Travis Best or Troy Hudson to play point guard. But
Rogers, who was the 2000 Sixth Man Award winner in
Phoenix playing with Kidd, decided to be reunited with
his ex-teammate.

"He always told me he wanted to get me to come to New
Jersey, so we can play together again," said Rogers, who
averaged 12points per game for the Celtics and Suns last
season. "But the Nets are all about winning and that's
what I'm about."

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?