Re: Rogers not going to Nets (Yes he is)

At 01:35 PM 8/14/02 -0700, bird wrote:
From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But huge blow? This makes him sound irreplacable. When what I saw was an undersized but willing banger who spent too much time outside the paint and was clearly too often a step slow in responding defensively, to loose balls, and to rebounds that didn't fall into his hands. While taking way too many outside shots - something we already had enough people doing. We won't even discuss some attempted ballhandling, including some attempted end to ends that liven my nightmares. A few more things, but that's the basic idea. While he helped us get where we did, perhaps his limitations are part of why that was no further.
This seems somewhat revisionist, doesn't it, Kim? 'Leastways, it's not how I remember it, anyway.
Nope, not revisionist for me. I've commented before on finding him slow to respond. Ask the poor guy sitting next to me in the Fleece how many times I used to shout MOVE dammit Rodney, MOVE as the freaking ball went right on past before he even twitched : )

Again, I'm not saying I don't like Rodney, I just think people are going WAY overboard about what he represents. Good journeyman is better than most of what we've had around here for too long and is far better praise than I would bestow on Blount or Pot. But that's still all he is IMO.

I thought Rogers was very quick for his size, though not so much laterally (that is, on defense, as far as staying in front on a guy on the perimeter), especially in grabbing loose balls.
OK, they may both be true. He probably IS reasonably quick for his bulk (not for his height) but had slow reactions/reflex. Honestly, I know he's only about 30-31, but what he looked like to me was someone who used to be very quick who was starting to show his age a bit. Which means it's likely to get worse, not better, because it's not like he was out of shape.

Though you're right about his ball-handling, it's not as if it was on display often. In fact, I particularly liked his drives to the basket -- the first step, for a man his size, was fast.
Sure, so long as that's all that was needed - a first step. Make him dribble from beyond the paint and that's where trouble showed. And look, I'll freely admit that he was probably at least midlevel for a big man. Lord knows he was MILES above Pot, starting with being able to catch a pass (did Pot go to the Dick Stewart big man's camp instead of Pete Newell's? <g>)

As for the outside shots, I disagree completely -- I think that was the whole plan, and in fact, Rogers displayed a tentativeness when he first got to the C's that eventually went mostly away, for the good of all. While no doubt his limitations *were*, indeed, part of why the team went no further (as were all the limitations of everyone who played), I'm just not sure that really means anything -- in the long run, he was more of an asset than a liability, faults and all.
<Nodding> sure, I agree on almost all of that. To a point.
Undoubtably that was the plan. Doesn't mean I have to like it or approve of it<g>. I think he could have done more for them being inside a bit more, both in terms of shots and availability for rebounds (that he wouldn't have to move to get). There were too many times the lane would be wide open and he (along with most of the rest of the team) would still settle for the outside shot. I'd have rather the outside shot was his secondary option and it looked like it was his primary one.

And I certainly agree that he was far more of an asset than liability. Thought I made that clear, especially in saying that I'd rather we kept him than Walter. I just think people are going WAY overboard about what he is, as I said above. Disappointment and creator of new problems that he's gone? Absolutely. Huge blow? NIMO.

Whether or not he'll help NJ significantly or not, we let one of our top five guys go to, not only a division rival, but perhaps the most important competition we have in the Conference. Oh, and the reason? Thou shalt not pay the luxury tax. It's one thing to lose him -- bad move but there are restrictions, oh, well. But to lose him to NJ?
I agree that I don't like the reason we lost him BTW. Losing him because they didn't feel he was worth what he was asking would have been one thing. Losing him for purely monetary reasons (and not even big money, in NBA terms) when the coach and GM wanted to keep him is another thing entirely.

(The league needs a new CBA -- the current one sucks donkey. And/or better negotiators for the players' side. One that doesn't let phrases like "sole discretion" make it to the final draft, or at least doesn't challenge it after it becomes clear the owners are going to do whatever they want ... shocking! What does "sole discretion" mean again? Duh.) All this "Championship-on-a-budget!" thinking is just plain weird.
Sorry but not the answer. They've had new CBAs, all of them with certain agendas and all of them making someone unhappy. While it's not the quality of the negotiators as much at issue as their interests. As the saying goes, you can't legislate morality, and that's in a sense what they' were both trying to do - legislate fiscal morality as they saw it.

Kim