Re: Rogers not going to Nets (Yes he is)

From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But huge blow? This makes him sound irreplacable. When what I saw was an undersized but willing banger who spent too much time outside the paint and was clearly too often a step slow in responding defensively, to loose balls, and to rebounds that didn't fall into his hands. While taking way too many outside shots - something we already had enough people doing. We won't even discuss some attempted ballhandling, including some attempted end to ends that liven my nightmares. A few more things, but that's the basic idea. While he helped us get where we did, perhaps his limitations are part of why that was no further.
This seems somewhat revisionist, doesn't it, Kim? 'Leastways, it's not how I remember it, anyway. I thought Rogers was very quick for his size, though not so much laterally (that is, on defense, as far as staying in front on a guy on the perimeter), especially in grabbing loose balls. Though you're right about his ball-handling, it's not as if it was on display often. In fact, I particularly liked his drives to the basket -- the first step, for a man his size, was fast. As for the outside shots, I disagree completely -- I think that was the whole plan, and in fact, Rogers displayed a tentativeness when he first got to the C's that eventually went mostly away, for the good of all. While no doubt his limitations *were*, indeed, part of why the team went no further (as were all the limitations of everyone who played), I'm just not sure that really means anything -- in the long run, he was more of an asset than a liability, faults and all.

He's a good journeyman player. More someone who filled a need we had at the time as well as we could (which is not to say optimally) than an inherently huge blow. And other than the ongoing presence of Walker and Pierce our team has enough changed that he may not have fit in as well with this year's. While on paper, yeah, it looks like he makes NJ's bench better, I go back to his slowness in reacting vs their young legs and kind of wonder how true this is. Guess we'll see the results.
Well, we'll all see. It's one thing to say that, with the line-up changes,
maybe Rogers wouldn't have fit it, and maybe that would have been the case, but the guy "fit in" wherever he went, and his presence on the team now would scream "sixth man". He could back up any one of three players/positions. Whether or not he'll help NJ significantly or not, we let one of our top five guys go to, not only a division rival, but perhaps the most important competition we have in the Conference. Oh, and the reason? Thou shalt not pay the luxury tax. It's one thing to lose him -- bad move but there are restrictions, oh, well. But to lose him to NJ? The team we played in the previous years' Conference Finals? Bad juju. While I fervently hope that your wonderings turn out to be the case, and thus minimizes Rogers' effectiveness with the Nets, I can't help ultimately feeling that no good will come of this. Geez, even a sign-and-trade to a Western team is favorable to this. Oh, right, can't do that because the owner won't pay the tax. Looks like there are more owners than just Portland, Cuban, NY and Miami that are willing to risk the tax, though.

Then again, Jim makes a good point about NJ''s timetable: they need to go for it all now, seeing how they must entice Kidd to remain to keep the core guys from this group together for the next few years. They are under pressure. It's just that I don't see what will significantly change in the C's situation next year: no significant money coming off the payroll, afaik. (Other than the situation brewing with Sundov. If he plays well, C's will not retain him. But we get to keep him if he''s more like Mark Blount! Great.) What I'm saying is, isn't now the Celtics' time, as well?
They may have until Walker's contract is up to make a run. The time is either "now" or "real damn soon" isn't it?

I am not one of these people who, every year, decry what the Celts have done in the off-season and say, if only they'd have picked up this guy, traded that guy, done this, moved that like the way I wanted them to, they would have a chance. Except maybe this year. The iron looked hot to me, and as long as you struck it with the acquisition of Baker, you might as well have finished the job by grabbing a decent pg and retaining a pretty good sixth man. You're going to need to develop or acquire a bench anyway.
Well, maybe the pg will come, there is still time. It''s s sad state of affairs when you let a Rodney Rogers go because you only offered him 1 million dollars, though. (The league needs a new CBA -- the current one sucks donkey. And/or better negotiators for the players' side. One that doesn't let phrases like "sole discretion" make it to the final draft, or at least doesn't challenge it after it becomes clear the owners are going to do whatever they want ... shocking! What does "sole discretion" mean again? Duh.) All this "Championship-on-a-budget!" thinking is just plain weird.

I won't coronate NJ yet, though. Clearly they are favored, and with good reason. But anything can happen, and more than just one unexpected thing *will* happen in the upcoming season.

Bird