Re: Rogers not going to Nets (Yes he is)

At 10:35 AM 8/14/02 -0400, Tammo29@AOL.com wrote:
 Ouch!  This is a huge blow.  I wonder why none of the national Internet
publications have reported this yet since the rumors have been rampant for a
few days now?
Not important enough to the hoops world at large perhaps, no matter how it's viewed here?
Especially as y'know I keep thinking that there HAS to be something I'm missing about Rodney when I read comments like the above. I mean, I liked Rodney and would have liked to keep him (probably more than I like keeping Walter). And I agree that he contributed something we needed badly at the time -especially with Pot going down and leaving Battie the only useful bigman- that helped us get into the playoffs and continue as far as we did through them.

But huge blow? This makes him sound irreplacable. When what I saw was an undersized but willing banger who spent too much time outside the paint and was clearly too often a step slow in responding defensively, to loose balls, and to rebounds that didn't fall into his hands. While taking way too many outside shots - something we already had enough people doing. We won't even discuss some attempted ballhandling, including some attempted end to ends that liven my nightmares. A few more things, but that's the basic idea. While he helped us get where we did, perhaps his limitations are part of why that was no further.

He's a good journeyman player. More someone who filled a need we had at the time as well as we could (which is not to say optimally) than an inherently huge blow. And other than the ongoing presence of Walker and Pierce our team has enough changed that he may not have fit in as well with this year's. While on paper, yeah, it looks like he makes NJ's bench better, I go back to his slowness in reacting vs their young legs and kind of wonder how true this is. Guess we'll see the results.

Kim