re: Nets signs Childs!

From: "Jaims" <jaims@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Man, we got beat again by the NETS!

I really am leaning into even considering Childs to the open PG position,
and
we got beat by a rival.
Damn, we need toughness and veteran smarts and the team that is set with the
no. 1 PG in the league signs a great back up who i think can really play
starter as PG.

So which PG is left in the free agent pool that has real PG skills that can
shoot, that can defend, that can intimidate other PGs or guards, and can mess
up Kobe Bryants game (mentally, that is!). I think Childs was perfect for
this team as he's got all of it. He may be old but he's tough as nails.

Too bad...the management too slow and stupid they really suck!
I fail to see how not getting Chris Childs is so damaging to the C's. The above analysis seems the best possible spin on Chris Childs maybe that I've ever seen. Here's some 01-02 stats for the man whose "got it all":

4.1 ppg, 5.1 assists/game, .81 steals/game, 2.5 rpg, 82% free throws, and a whopping 33% shooting, 28% on threes.

In his prime, all Chris Childs could do was make passes, defend pretty well, hit the three, and make free throws. Now that he's a bit older (and slower), and his three-point accuracy has bottomed out (he's shot below his career avg. in the last two seasons) it looks as if he can only make passes and hit free throws. So could Chris Herren.

Now, granted, Childs is a veteran presence at the point and he knows how to run a team, but does that fit this team? I don't know, but even before one thought of that, one would have to wonder why the team would need yet another backup point guard. (I don't think many would agree with you, Jaims, about Childs being starter-quality. I think even in his prime he was a backup. Now, there's just no question.)

Childs is the kind of player who could fit in well with the right team. For instance, NJ needs a backup point, a guy who can run the team when Kidd's out. Childs can do that for 10-12 minutes a game, no doubt about it. Seems like it could fit in well. I don't think it's the same for the C's. I don't think that's what C's management wants; they look as if they want to populate the point position with good defensive guys who can shoot the ball when open. I'm sure they'd like more skills, but that seems to be the kind of player they want. Back in the day, Childs might've been a good fit, but it''s not 1998 anymore.

Maybe, just maybe there's another reason behind this than that C's management is too "slow" or "stupid" or that they "suck" so damn hard.

Like, maybe Childs has been in the league for so long that his "veteran's minimum" makes Gaston and Pond nervous?

Bird