Re: Nets signs Childs!

In a message dated 8/1/02 5:49:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jaims@info.com.ph
writes:

> I really am leaning into even considering Childs to the open PG position,
> and
> we got beat by a rival. Damn, we need toughness and veteran smarts and the
> team that is set with the no. 1 PG in the league signs a great back up who
> i think can really play starter as PG.
>
> So which PG is  left in the free agent pool that has real PG skills that
> can shoot, that can defend, that can intimidate other PGs or guards, and
> can mess up Kobe Bryants game (mentally, that is!).  I think Childs was
> perfect for this team as he's got all of it.  He may be old but he's tough
> as nails.

I agree, Jaims. Childs is a nice add for NJ.  I haven't heard what the length
or amount of the deal was for, though.

To your question, two cagey vets come to mind: Mookie Blaylock and Greg
Anthony.

Mook is coming off an injury and also had the "C" stripped from him in
Oakland. I've liked Mookie in years past but it's tough to come back from an
injury at his age and you'd have to question how much fire he has left after
he quit on his team or so the story goes when by blew off practice to take in
a round of golf.

Anthony played well last year; first half of the season coming off the bench
in Milwaukee while being used more his scoring and then as a starter in
Chicago the second half of the season he was back in the floor general role
and posted Kenny Anderson equivalent numbers for a fraction of Kenny's cost.

Of the two, I'd take a gamble on Anthony at the veterans minimum contract for
one year and the team's option for the second year. He's always been  pretty
solid defensively to begin with so adapting to Harter's philosophy should be
little problem and he has shot over 40% from downtown for his career so he
obviously can fit the job description for the position. A more important
thing to me is his playoff experience. Through the years he's been in over
100 playoff games. He 'd also be a good, cheap mentor for Bremer.

CeltsSteve