Re: Predictions

At 06:57 AM 4/16/02 -0700, Colin Hall wrote:
>Whoever is belittling those who underpredicted with
>the obnoxious quotes needs to rethink his strategy.
>Like someone said before, we are all winners. No need
>to rub noses in the dirt.

Hmm.  I looked back through the last batch of e-mail, and so far as I could
tell, you seem to be referring to me.  That's puzzling, since at every
turn, I've made a point to indicate that underpredicting the Celtics
win/loss record was a sign that the team did much better than many of
us--both here on the list and the NBA fans in general--predicted they
would.  The idea was that people who predicted fewer wins would be happy to
be wrong.  Several people have indicated clearly that this was the case.

I've never belittled people in those posts, with the possible exception of
"Way of the Ray" who actually predicted two forfeits, and seems to take a
form of pleasure in belittling the Celtics' achievements throughout the
season.  So far, he has never seen fit to comment in any manner on my posts
regarding the predictions.

I hardly think that qualifies as "rubbing people's noses in the dirt".  I
was under the perhaps mistaken impression that the predictions here were
for fun--a chance to take our own view of the Celtics and the NBA and make
our best (or in my case, most optimistic) guess as to how well the Good
Guys would do.

So you predicted 38 wins.  Fine.  At the start of the season, that was
probably a realistic, and fairly accurate guess, as we did not yet know if
Coach O'Brien would be able to sustain the team's defensive effort, if
Pierce could possibly play any better, or if Walker would ever learn to
pass the ball occasionally.  Had those and other factors been known back
then, of COURSE you would have predicted more wins!  EVERYONE would
have--well, except Way Ray, but that's another matter...

Perhaps instead of taking shots because you underpredicted, you might want
to join the celebration of how well the Celtics did this year as they are
about to embark on the playoffs for the first time in ages.

And my "strategy" is just fine, thank you very much.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle