Kestas, I just don't think Pitino's methods were all that different from
guys like Pat Riley or George Karl or Bill Parcells. I'm not talking about
his GM ability or even game strategy-just his methods of dealing with
players. He wasn't Bobby Knight-like. He wasn't abusive. Coaches yell. Red
yelled. Parcells yelled. Riley yells. The difference, in my opinion, was
that Pitino had a young team and Riley and Karl deal with veteran teams.
What had the Celtic players accomplished up to that point? Can we agree that
Pitino's first team drastically overachieved? Then he was hit with the
lockout and the whole damn team, including the "veteran all-star" came in
out of shape and played terrible. Why shouldn't Pitino have been hard on
them? Antoine was immediately rewarded with a max contract after the
lockout, then rewarded Pitino by showing up out of shape and playing lousy.

You mention George Karl... The difference is that his players gave him a
chance and he blasted them even when they were winning. Pitino was tough on
his guys when they were out of shape and playing for stats-and losing. And
the solution to that was "shut up and let them play?"  You know, he also had
some of the most positive quotes about some of these players. He tried
positive reinfocement when they played well. Some of his quotes about
Antoine were Obie-esque. But he also was critical when Antoine deserved it.

I'm willing to give the players credit for growing up. They have. But I'm
not lumping everything on Pitino. He was a big part of it, but the players
played a significant role.

And one last thing... I don't expect these guys to be perfect, but if
they're making $9 million a year, I expect them to work hard. I don't think
that's too much to ask. I have a hard time mustering a lot of sympathy for
their plight. These guys have worked hard this year, but that hasn't always
been the case.

Mark

--- --- ---

Kestas wrote:

What about the way Pitino treated the players, Mark? You're always harping
about how Pitino was mistreated and sabotaged by the players. Ask yourself -
if
you had been in their place, or if you had a boss like that, would you have
'gone through the wall' for him? If you would have, you probably think Bobby
Knight was mistreated by his players, too.
Why do you think players back Obie so much? Because he treats them like
adults,
with respect and dignity. He stands up for them no matter what, he never
publicly blasts a player for anything, never questions their motivation.
Look at what's happening to Milwaukee - the players got tired of Karl's act
and
they quit on him. Can you blame them? Maybe you can, but I can't.
Some coaches just can't figure out what Obie has realized in his short stint
in
the NBA, or knew all along.