> From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>
>
> At 13:54 4/10/2002 EDT, you wrote:
> >     A team like New Jersey is going nowhere fast. When your "star"
> player
> >     (who some folks think is the best point guard in the NBA - laugh)
> can't
>
> Those foolish folks, who think Kidd is the best PG in the NBA and should
> be
> the MVP, include Hubie Brown, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley. For those
> who didn't see TNT's "Inside the NBA" tonight, it was the "Hubies" awards
> night, and Hubie gave the MVP to Kidd, with full agreement from Kenny and
> Chuck.

Clearly, these guys know nothing.  But on a different subject, what was
the deal with Hubie's beard, circa 1973?  Of course, the plaid blazers
were classic.  Seriously, though, Hubie had a nice behind-the-back pass
move going for him during that snippet of the camp, or some such thing, he
was running.

I like Hubie's vocal idiosyncrasies: his stock phrases like "Here, we're
gonna show you..." and "now, you say, ...", and the like.  The guy's in
like pronoun purgatory, but he's almost always entertaining, taken in
small doses.  He's not nearly so complimentary towards the C's now that
his boy is gone, which is something strange, since the team is doing
better.  But I've always suspected that, to Hubie, it's about loyalty to
people he thinks of as "his guys" if you know what I mean.  Hubie clearly
knows a lot about the game, but I often think he's the kind of guy who
think there's one way, and one way only, to play basketball.  Sometimes
they call those kinds of guys "coaches" so it's not just him.

Bird