Could it be any better?

Could the team have a better season?  Eliminating the playoff drought,
sweeping LA -- it just doesn't get any better than that for me.  Sure,
they could have won more games, but you've got to leave them some goals
for the regular season next year.  Now, perhaps, comes the new era, an era
where we are actually concerned with the playoffs, because we're in 'em.
I'm not saying the team ought to concentrate on the playoffs to the
exclusion of the regular season next year, as the reg season obviously
determines playoff seeds, but maybe, just maybe we've turned the corner
and the playoffs will be a familar arena.

Maybe, just maybe the Boston Celtics are finally, once again, at least a
playoff team.  Of course, respect and a real title of "playoff team" can
be applied when the team wins a playoff series, either this year or next.
Anyway, this is all I've wanted for some time now.  Sure, championships
are the ultimate goal, but you've got to crawl before you can walk, and
walk before you can run.  The way I see it, we've have three good
championship runs (Russel's teams -- obviously, Havilcek, Cowens and the
boys in the Seventies, and then Bird, and then Parish and McHale in the
Eighties).  Other franchises can't compare.  Sure, the Lakers had even
more runs (maybe four or five) but don't have near the total amount of
rings (who does?), and they've wanted to distance themselves from their
Minneapolis roots for some time so I say let them.  Chicago had their one
good run, Portland had one, Knicks had one or two, Rockets, etc.  I'm not
saying these teams can't compete again for a championship -- I sure would
like to see the Celtics do so -- but if the Boston Celtics never won an
NBA championship again, the franchise would still be a part of history --
and the best part of basketball history.

Anyway, the playoff scene's still murky, but it''s likely Charlotte, or
Milwaukee, or Philly will be the foe.  I'll tell you who I'd like to face:
  Orlando.  Or Toronto.  But the latter ain't gonna happen, and I don't
think Orlando will slip enough either.  The three likeliest teams are all
dangerous.  Charlotte's on a surge, but have the monkey wrench of their
(lack of) homecourt advantage -- even when they're playing at home,
because of the lack of fans in the seats.  But that means they've become
an even better road team.  Dangerous for a playoff team with the homecourt.
   The Hornets have guys who have been there before and Mashburn just
recently returned.  They're the East's sleeper, I think, not unlike last
year.

And who knows, Philly could be it together, *and* they seem to match up
well against us.  Except when the C's take Tommy's advice and draw Motumbo
out.  Iverson's going to return for the playoffs, isn't he?  Philly's
dangerous, but I don't think they'll burst out of the East.  Not much
consolation if they beat us in the first round, though.  Then there's the
Bucks.  Formerly a good team, and maybe they still are.  What a slide,
though: from Division-leading almost all year, to a possible seventh seed.
   Yes, they may just have gotten tired with George Karl and given up on
him.  Still, if the Big Three break out and/or Anthony Mason starts
fitting in well, they could win a series or two.  But I have this feeling
they've really given up.  Oh, they won't admit it publicly, maybe they don'
t admit it to each other or even themselves, but I think their lethargy
will hurt them most in an area that wasn't all that tight to begin with:
defense.  They may still score a lot of points, maybe out of professional
or personal pride, but I think they might roll over when it comes to
playing at the other end.  That seems to match well with a Boston Celtics
team that can, at times, compete or surpass them offensively, and also can
be better defenders.

I guess I think they have the best chance against the Bucks.  But it'll
just be great watching the C's in the second season.

Bird