Re: Could it be any better?

   "Could the team have a better season?"
       Bird
        ***********

   I used to love rhetorical questions, because, of course, by their nature,
there is no correct answer. Once I became a soldier in the work force of
life, they were not always so welcome. Often, it seemed, some pest was
wasting my time, or testing me; but, patience is a virtue and I know Bill is
truly enthused, as well he should be and I'm marching right behind him.
Pests of a feather........
   There is a pretty good analysis, on the playoff possibilities, in today's
Peter May column in the Globe:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/097/sports/Celtics_looking_aheadP.shtml

''We know we're not going to catch New Jersey,'' coach Jim O'Brien said.
''But we have an interest in catching Detroit. And we have an interest in
keeping one of the top four spots.''

They are in good shape to at least stay at No. 3, because they lead No. 4
Orlando by 21/2 games and No. 5 Charlotte by three.

They also have the first tie-breaker against both teams, having beaten
Orlando three out of four and the Hornets two out of three.

   If David Stern has any influence, as he is accused of having, during
draft lottery time (won't we all be watching the Knicks? Do you think
"Arthur Anderson" will be auditing the proceedings?), I have a feeling, that
he would prefer the natural and geographical rivalries, being herein
proposed, that are shaping up quite nicely.
   N.J. should play  Indiana. There really isn't much at stake here for the
league, but Toronto might be considered a weak franchise and even without
marquee Carter, get the commissioners nod, but for pure buzz and marquee
value, we have the three man tag team of  tough guys; Ron Artest, Brad
Miller and Jermaine O'Niel, going against the league leader and closing in
on the all-time record for flagrant fouls in a single season; Kenyon Martin.
What a perfect opportunity for media hype.
   Beyond that, it should be easy. Detroit/Milwaukee; just across the lake.
Charlotte/Orlando; the southern thang. Boston/Philly; do we even have to
analyze that one?
   Can you imagine the media frenzy, on the East coast, for Sixers/Celtics?
Bird/Erving, Parish/Malone, McHale/Jones, D.J. trying to turn off the
microwave, Daryl Dawkins smashing backboards, Tiny splitting the lane? Oh,
will that be fun and glory.......................................
............................. What? You're saying those players have
retired? You mean we have to watch today's NBA ? Walker and Pierce forcing
shots into traffic ? Iverson jacking up 11-35 and getting 40, by scoring 18
points at the line?  The Celtics getting out rebounded 55-24? Both teams
having less than 10 assists?
   In other words, all those titles that Red dragged home don't mean shit.
We should expect an unselfish, hard working team on the floor at all times
and this bunch has given us every reason to expect same. They can do it.
They had better do it. With the right attitude, we could be the fodder, to
be fed to the Western conference champ. I'm rooting for it, I want to see
it, and if it doesn't happen it will be O'Brien's or Wallace's or Walker's
fault and I'll rip em.
  All joking aside, it should be a good show. Bring on the Sixers.
   By the way, if we do make the finals, will they let Vitaly wear cleats? I
don't mean metal cleats, I mean the rubber ones, like we used to wear in
little league. I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes here, but Red
would have always looked to exploit every possible opponent's weakness.

 JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01
confstands_lo.html