Re: Memo to Michael:

While in one way, I think he "shoulda' stood in bed", I guess part of me
thinks about someone loving to play so much he'd walk away from an easy
life to put himself through the grind of a comeback.  I know some people
think he's a glory-hound, or bored, or whatever.  Maybe--just maybe--he
wants nothing more than to play, and in doing so to compete with the best
the game can throw at him.

Certainly if glory was all he wanted, he has plenty.  He's widely respected
even by people who played against him.  People hold him up as an example of
someone who learned to play a team game when he could easily have spent his
whole career playing like he did his first few seasons.  He's rich enough
that he's playing this year essentially for free as far as the NBA is
concerned--though I'm cognizant that the endorsement people are probably
already lining up to have a chat with him. Even then, he was already doing
commercials and suchlike.

Even if one concedes that he's not as strong or fast as he was years ago,
it may be that there's no one else he can play against without
automatically mopping the floor with them. And if there's one thing
Basketball is, it's competitive.

I guess the bottom line is, if he can play at that level and bring
something positive to the team, then he should go for it.  It remains only
to see if that is the case.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle