Antoine (was Re: Johnson Touted As Rookie With The Most Impact)

Noah wrote:

Shots taken are a virtual wash. Pierce was significantly more
effective in terms of actually converting these shot attempts into
points(by going to the line and making more shots). But in terms of
actually being a hog it's pretty hard to blame Walker. Who would he
have given the ball to? Kenny? Vitaly? Walter? The celtics talent
level was pretty thin and Walker still averaged a ton of assists.

It's impossible to truly condemn Walker until he has a decent level of
scoring talent around him. Hopefully Forte, Brown and Johnson will all
provide a level of offensive firepower that allows Walker to take
shots that are easier to make and perhaps fewer of them.  Then he can
be justifiably criticized for being a shot hog. But it's pretty hard
to blame him for forcing his offense when there's really no support.

One other point that hasn't been metioned for a while. During the
glorious first couple of games right after Kenny came to the celtics
Walker's percentage shot up to normal NBA levels(almost 48% IIRC). A
few games is hardly a good sample for making conclusions, but it would
indicate that people who accuse Walker of being the source of the
team's problems ignore structural flaws in the team itself.

---end---

Some of this is true, of course, but after five years I've grown weary of
the Walker apologists. It reminds me so much of my local Ohio State Buckeyes
(indulge me) and their quarterback, Steve Bellisari. The guy is a third-year
starter, led the team to a 6-6 record two years ago, 8-4 last season (these
are totally unacceptable at OSU) and put up miserable numbers. He throws
more interceptions than TD passes, completes under 50 percent of his passes
and generally has no "feel" for playing QB. Against UCLA last week he was
5-for-23, for 45 yards and two interceptions. And yet many OSU fans blame
the offensive line, the receivers, the running backs... everyone but
Bellisari. Granted, everyone plays a part, but at some point you have to
open your eyes and say "he is what he is."

That's where I am with Antoine. He is what he is. He's entering his sixth
season and his field goal percentage is falling into truly abysmal
territory-41 percent. He leads the league in 3-point attempts and misses but
isn't in the top 50 in percentage. Meanwhile, his free throw attempts and
rebounding numbers continue to decline. His turnovers are consistently bad.

Of course, he'll still get you 20 ppg on 25 shots, average 8 rebounds while
playing 40 minutes and get five assists while dominating the ball. And he'll
play terrible defense. You can tell how I feel about those numbers, but a
player like that certainly isn't without value in the league.

But stop blaming everyone else for his shortcomings. There are plenty of
players in similar situations-bad teams (and teammates)-who manage to
operate much more efficiently than Antoine. Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Antawn
Jamison, Antonio McDyess, Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Vince Carter, Lamar
Odom, Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis and Paul Pierce all operate under very
similar circumstances (Pierce under identical circumstances) yet they all
manage to make at least 45 percent of their shots.

Look, I'm going to get roasted for blasting Antoine and everyone's going to
point out how versatile he is and look at how many assists he gets and ain't
he great? Well, he's good. He's a far cry from great. I know, I know, he's
in great shape, blah, blah, blah... I hope it helps, but I don't care if he
is in great shape, if he's launching 10 3-pointers a game, it won't matter.
If Toine has his body in shape, that's great, but it's from the neck up that
he needs the most help.

Anyway, my point is, what you see is what you get. Toine is going to average
20-plus ppg, 8 rpg, 5 apg, and do it while shooting 41 percent from the
field and rarely going to the foul line. That's not bad, and if that's good
enough for you, then fine. But stop blaming all his weaknesses on his
teammates. If he's averaging 25 shots per game and only making 41 percent,
that's 15 misses per game. Let's say he turns five of those misses into
passes to open teammates. Let's say those "terrible" teammates make 40
percent of those shots-two more. That's four more points per game. That's
huge. And it doesn't even take into account the decreased fast-break
opportunities for opponents or the increased offensive rebound opportunities
for Toine.

I'm rambling... he is what he is. If you're happy with it, fine.

Mark