Re: Bskball.com Column

At 21:40 19/09/01 -0400, Jim Metz wrote:
>   Same old, same old.
>    They won't bring in a player unless he's an impact player, but they won't
>pay an impact player what it would take to sign him.
>    Why they wouldn't/couldn't sign a Jacques Vaughn/Khalid El-Amin/Pepe
>Sanchez type point guard, for 350,000 to 500,000 is beyond me. Even if they
>had to cut him later, the amount is so small, compared to the benefit of
>having the point guard if necessary.
>    It really does seem as if they don't care much about this coming season
>and might like to visit the lottery again.
>-JB-

Can one of you folks out there explain what "cutting" a player means in
terms of roster space?

Since we're talking of a guaranteed contract (no matter how small) would
this still count as the team's 15th player contract, even after the guy is
"cut"? I'm sure it will still count against the salary cap, but what about
the roster?

Last year I think we "cut" Hot Rod Williams before camp started. Was he in
an option year or was he really cut?

Is the 15-man roster rule something newly enforced this year?

Is there some sort of union rule against offering players a non-guaranteed
contract?

-------