Re: not to worry

At 16:08 14/09/01 -0700, Josh Ozersky wrote:
>How are people taking it elsewhere?  Joe, what's it
>like in Paris?  I know you're wired in to the UN.
>What's the mood like there?

Just a small point, and I'll get off the subject. Please note that the
delegation of Afghanistan to the United Nations represents the government
in exile and opposition. The Taliban regime is not recognized by any UN
agency. I make this point because even I have received several e-mails to
forward of the "we will find you!!" variety.

So many different nationalities (and ethnicities) had their offices in the
WTC. I think that's going to be a striking facet of the ultimate, tragic
death toll. I have three friends-or-relations-of-friends (people I don't
know) who are still missing (or confirmed dead) from floors 100 and above.
There was one sad story of a "I love you" cell phone call to wife and two
babies. Horrible to think the wife had to watch on live TV as her husband
(a friend's cousin) died.

Joe

p.s. In at least one of our UN advocacy brochures, we have a "did you
know?" line about how the entire UN regular budget (including the part that
the US fails to pay) is smaller, for instance, than that of the NYC fire
department. Well now we know what real heroism is all about! These guys
probably helped save 10s of thousands of lives in the space of an hour. Its
a miracle how many people got out in time.

Sorry to be way off topic. I'm itching to chat about the Celtics.

---