McLeod update

NBA's Duke contingent gives back, speaks out
Duke-ing It Out

By Chris Ekstrand

DURHAM, N.C. -- Summertime in the NBA means star players suiting up in
various charity games that collectively make a huge difference in their
communities. One such gathering, the Duke Basketball All-Star Charity Game,
took place Aug. 24 at Duke's famed Cameron Indoor Stadium, home of the 2001
NCAA Division I men's basketball champions.

Seven active NBA players -- <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/elton_brand.html?nav=ArticleList">Elton Brand</A> and <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/corey_maggette.html?nav=ArticleList">Corey Maggette</A> of the Los Angeles
Clippers, <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/christian_laettner.html?nav=ArticleList">Christian Laettner</A> of the Washington Wizards, <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/danny_ferry.html?nav=ArticleList">DannyFerry</A> of the San
Antonio Spurs, <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roshown_mcleod.html?nav=ArticleList">Roshown McLeod</A> of the Boston Celtics, <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/trajan_langdon.html?nav=ArticleList">Trajan Langdon</A> of the
Cleveland Cavaliers and <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/william_avery.html?nav=ArticleList">William Avery</A> of the Minnesota Timberwolves -- joined
former NBA players like Johnny Dawkins, Bobby Hurley, Alaa Abdelnaby and Mark
Alarie to help Duke fans turn back the clock to many happy memories. <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shane_battier.html?nav=ArticleList">Shane
Battier</A> of the Memphis Grizzlies, who helped Duke win its latest national
championship, sent a congratulatory letter from Australia, where he is
practicing with the USA Basketball Team that will compete in the Goodwill
Games beginning Sunday. Philadelphia 76ers GM Billy King was on hand to visit
with old friends.

The first annual game drew a raucous crowd of 8,000 true-Blue Devils
supporters on a steamy night in Durham. The game was organized by a group of
Duke alumni including Orlando Magic superstar <A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill.html?nav=ArticleList">Grant Hill</A> in conjunction with
Durham-area businesses to benefit the Duke/Durham Neighborhood Partnership
Initiative and the planned Burch Avenue Family Center. The Center will be a
multi-purpose facility that will include the Emily Krzyzewski Gymnasium after
the mother of Duke coaching legend Mike Krzyzewski, who will be inducted into
the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in October.

The White Team, which scored a 145-124 victory, was led by Thomas Hill's 26
points, McLeod's 24 points and nine rebounds and Laettner's 19 rebounds and
10 points. The Blue Team got 24 points from Maggette, 20 points from Brand
and 18 points from current Virginia Commonwealth assistant coach Jeff Capel.

Grant Hill, who did not play as he continues his workout regimen in
anticipation of a full recovery from the ankle surgery that limited him to
four games last season, did take part in one of several reenactments during
the game of great moments in Duke basketball history. During a timeout, he
fired a three-quarter-court-length pass to Laettner at the top of the key.
Just as he did against Kentucky in the famed 1992 East Regional Final,
Laettner caught the pass, faked right, turned left, and turned loose a jump
shot. Unlike the historic game against Kentucky on March 28, 1992, Laettner
back-rimmed his shot, eliciting groans from the faithful. After Krzyzewski
directed Hill and Laettner to try again, Laettner sent the steamy denizens of
Durham into paroxysms of delight by swishing his second try.

Following the game, several of Duke's NBA players talked about their hopes
for the upcoming NBA season.

*******
ROSHOWN McLEOD, BOSTON CELTICS

Q: What was your first reaction when you learned you had been traded to
Boston?
McLeod: The tradition. The first thing I thought of was, I didn't know what
number I was going to get, because all of them are retired! I was excited to
play for an organization like that. They are a class act. Playing here at
Duke and leaving Philadelphia, you are going from one class organization to
another. That's almost unheard of. Normally, if you are leaving a good team,
you are going to a bad team. I was happy to be going to a young team that is
exciting and on the rise. I feel like I am one of those types of players.

Q: What was discussed when you spoke to (Celtics' GM) Chris Wallace?
McLeod: He said they were excited about me coming in and doing the things I
am capable of doing, the way I shoot the ball. That with the new rules coming
in, that I would be an important factor on the team. I'm really looking
forward to it. I'm ready to accept that responsibility. I've seen the way the
league is, and I think I understand what it will take for me to have a
prosperous career.

Q: Is there pressure on you coming to a new team in the last year of your
contract?
McLeod: I've responded in those situations before. Getting traded is like
transferring to another school. When I transferred from St. John's to Duke, I
needed to have a big senior year and I responded. The situation has come
again. (Last season) I had an injury that was mind-boggling to me, but I got
the problem fixed and I'm feeling good and now I know what I have to do. I
have to do what I did my senior year at Duke, I have to come ready to play,
be in great condition and be the best player I can possibly be.

Q: Did you enjoy being with the 76ers on their trip to the Finals?
McLeod: It was amazing. There is a possibility I may never get back there.
That's a lifelong experience. When you get there, you remember that forever.
You have the stories to tell. It was tough being on the side injured, because
I think I could have helped the team with my outside shooting. Allen Iverson
kind of ran out of gas at the end, George Lynch was hurt, and there were
minutes available. But things happen for a reason. I want to look to the
future and try to make the best of my new situation.