Commenting On Things That Happened Over The Past Week Or So

- Miami signs Strickland and trades for Gatling

Comment: If Riley can keep both Strickland and Gatling focused,
they're an improved team.  Let's see: Mourning, Grant, Gatling,
Jones, and Strickland. Very nice indeed. I laugh at those who project
the Celtics encroaching on Miami.

- MJ

Comment: Slowed down a little bit, but still outscored Pierce.
I once again laugh at those who project Pierce to light up Jordan.
Far likelier for the reverse to happen. If I was Jordan the GM, I'd try
find a PF who can play defense. Kwame will be a better player than
Antoine
in time, but Laettner and him are defensively deficient at the moment.

- Milwaukee signs (or is about to sign) Mason

Comment: The rich wisely manipulate their salary cap and get richer.
The upper echelon of the Eastern Conference appears much stronger
this season. Still, as long as Shaq and Kobe stay healthy, the West is
best.

- Philly deals for Coleman

Comment: If there's one coach who can get the best out of Coleman, it's
Brown.
Mutumbo and Coleman should form a overwhelming rebounding tandem.

- Jamaal Tinsley starting for Indiana

Comment: Just another reason why you want Larry Bird running the
Celtics, as
he'd bring in a top flight GM like Walsh, who has a great grasp of
talent.

- Randy Brown and Roshown McLeod placed on C's IR

Comment: Both these guys are a waste of roster space. They both should
have been
waived or some buyout agreement reached.

- C's Waive Herren, Eyeing Erick Strickland

Comment:  Herren injured himself into oblivion. Strickland would be
a good pick-up. I generally disagree with Wallace's moves, but
Strickland
is a step in the right direction. Not a pure point guard, but better
than Palacio
or Brown or Anderson or Forte.  Howard David loved him, Max wasn't so
keen.
And if the C's sign Strickland, it just proves how easy it is to find a
backup
guard.

- Peter Vecsey on the Celtics from today's NY Post NBA Preview

CELTICS: Last time they were a force instead of a farce, Red Auerbach
was lighting up victory parchment.

Comment: LOL. The truth is sure funny. Go Antoine, our beloved veteran
All-Star.

- Kyle Ringo, Rocky Mountain News on the Celtics location in the
Atlantic Division

7. BOSTON CELTICS

LAST SEASON: 36-46, missed playoffs.

COACH: Jim O'Brien, second season, 24-24.

ADDED: F Kedrick Brown (draft, Okaloosa-Walton CC), G Joseph Forte
(draft, North Carolina), Joe Johnson (draft, Arkansas), F Roshown McLeod
(trade, Philadelphia).

LOST: F Adrian Griffin (free agent), F Jerome Moiso (trade,
Philadelphia), G Bryant Stith (free agent).

STRENGTHS: Perimeter play of Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce.

WEAKNESSES: Center. Nothing here that scares anyone.

HOW FAR THEY'LL GET: Back to more high draft picks.

Comment: What can you say. C's impress no one. Missing the playoffs
for the last 6 years will do that to people's impressions of a team.

- Barbara Barker, Newsday on the Celtics place in the Atlantic Division

BOSTON CELTICS

Last Season: 36-46

Coach: Jim O'Brien

Who's In: Joe Johnson, Kedrick Brown, Joseph Forte, Roshown McLeod

Who's Out: Bryant Stith, Jerome Moiso, Adrian Griffin

Prediction: Jim O'Brien is fighting an uphill battle to change the
losing culture on this team. The Celtics have not had a winning season
or reached the playoffs since they left the Garden in 1994-95. Antoine
Walker is a good player but not good enough to build a team around. Paul
Pierce should get All-Star consideration, but the Celtics will once
again miss the playoffs.

Comment: You earn respect by your accomplishments and deeds.

Ray