The "Three"

I think the "three", like any other shot in the game is a potentially
effective tool--if used correctly.  Unlike a layup or dunk, however, it's
sometimes more nebulous to determine if a certain situation does or doesn't
merit the attempt.

Personally, I believe that except for some players like Larry Bird or Danny
Ainge, the 3 is a low percentage shot.  It requires more power and accuracy
and the rebounding potential is uncertain at best if it misses.

In the Celtics' case, I think it's been too often used as a result of not
wanting to go inside first because they couldn't beat the defense.  With
the revived running game, there should be less situations where the 3 is
needed. This should rightly make it a play of last resort.  In those cases,
I much prefer they get SOME kind of shot instead of nothing at all.

Ideally, they'll take it inside and let the defense double off someone who
has a decent outside shot--who would come to the ball as it's passed out
from under. If the C's consistently hit 12-15' jump shots, it will open up
the defense and let Pierce and Walker run to the hoop.

I know the 3 can be a deadly offensive weapon, but if you have a guaranteed
layup, why bother?  Play solid defense and run the fast break and you'll be
up by 4 points inside a minute on easy shots instead of maybe 3 on a risky one.

The 3 ought to be used as a ploy to bring the defense out to you, make them
guess.

Then again, if I was as good at the game as all that, I'd be playing or
coaching tonight instead of watching it on tv....  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle