RE: I love this list because....

Touchi, LOL!

I've got to admit, this list IS a bit like a soap opera - if you know the
cast for the given episode you pretty much know what's going to happen ;)

Frankly, I expect that if we do see a trade it will much more likely be of
the 'rearranging of the deckchairs on the Titanic' variety. As I said, the
previously proposed trade would be risky and unpopular. Heck, it was quite
possibly lousy. Whether it would be viable or not really depends on how much
one thinks the principles approximate Stackhouse and Ratliff, another trade
that required a good sized pair of cojones. (Antoine rebounds better, but
Stack gets to the line; Ratliff is a somewhat better shot blocker but
Lafrentz is more adept offensively). Detroit got the better player (an
all-star no less) hands down in that trade - what was Larry Brown thinking?

> 35 wins tops and that's Pitino's fault. If we can keep trading Antoine and
> fighting over Antoine and Paul I can keep talking about the real long term
> "problem."

You go, guy! (good to have you back, BTW). And Paul, you may actually be
much more on target than you realize, if my fears concerning Coach 'mini-me'
O'Brien are even just half correct! "God help us" - Eric Williams the key to
the team!?! LOL! (I wonder if more of Eric Williams what Wallace was hoping
for when he he let Griffin and Stith go. . . )

To be honest I don't think any trade or GM strategy will help unless the
coaching improves, which could quite well require a coaching change. At
least if (coaching) history does repeat itself, this time it is scheduled to
be a farce, so I'm planning on enjoying it regardless :)

cheers -Tom (who is actually quite excited about the rookies and this season
despite an unshakable sense of foreboding)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:51:54 -0700
> From: "pmaurice" <damekmo@teleport.com>
> Subject: I love this list because....
>
> you go away for a while and you come back and we're still talking Antoine
vs.
> Pierce and trading Antoine for just about anybody. While LaFrentz isn't
just
> "anybody" he's not far off. The Nuggets have him and that "real power
forward"
> that everybody wants and it really hasn't helped them much. I know that
Thomas
> wants to upgrade only to upgrade again, slowly and surely - which is what
> Pitino had in mind, I think - so Raef would be gone for a better big man
at
> some point but that trade really is pretty miserable. And in any case,
Raef
> and the boys quit on their coach last year and they did the right thing.
> Antoine quit on Pitino last year and he's a cancer. Antoine isn't just a
> "better" player as Thomas writes, he's a BETTER player all around period,
and
> unless you know that a big man is coming shortly thereafter you traded a
> talented "problem" for a mediocre "problem." But I have to go to work but
I'll
> be back as I'm a slacker.
>
> 35 wins tops and that's Pitino's fault. If we can keep trading Antoine and
> fighting over Antoine and Paul I can keep talking about the real long term
> "problem."
>
> I'm not against trading Antoine, or Pierce,  but we have to better than
> LaFrentz and a gang of stiffs or we're reproducing the Pitino years:
Trading