Baron Davis backs it up

Last week, Baron Davis said the best way to stop Paul "Krispy Glazed
Cruller" Pierce would be for him to guard him. To his credit as a young
franchise player, he totally backed up his words last night, with Donut Boy
fouling out in 19 minutes and held to some 20 points below last year's
scoring average. That's how you get a win when your team is desperately
shorthanded. Give him the game ball.

Meanwhile, it still upsets me that the Celtics would celebrate getting
humiliated on the boards for the second straight game (against Charlotte's
benchwarmers no less) by going on a donut fest. If that's their reward for
an embarrassing loss, how do these guys celebrate after a win?! With these
eating habits, its hardly any wonder the Celtics have struggled so much in
back-to-backs.

Mainly I'm angry at the coaching staff for (apparently) condoning this.
What price does Obie want to pay in order to be "liked" by his millionaire
players. I find it all to be a little scandalous.

I know its just the preseason, but they have a game tonight. We are talking
about a Celtics franchise that built its worldwide renown by being better
conditioned and prepared than every opponent on any night. As far as I'm
concerned, this is a very dark Krispy Kreme stain on Celtics tradition and
a grave insult to fans. These 14 guys are struggling through a global
recession on 45 million in guaranteed salary for a five month season. They
owe it to their fans to at least make sacrifices and give their money's
worth. Its not like comparitively nutritious foods all tastes bad.

All summer, I keep reading Paul "Kustard Sprinkle Filled" Pierce and
Antoine "International Pancake Face" Walker making empty boasts about how
they want to improve on defense. Baron Davis showed last night that you
have to back up your words, every once in awhile. That's how it generally
works in the real world too.

Maybe we'll see some of that defense tonight, but first our captains should
worry about working off 2000 or so calories of saturated donut fat before
tip off. Boston fans deserve that much. As you can see, I'm really
disgusted that the coaching staff would let this happen. I'm actually
hoping to read that Obie and the coaches confiscated these donuts and gave
them away to charity (or more logically to the local police department)
when they found out.

The team better have a decent explanation in tomorrow's papers, especially
if we get blown out again. Maybe this really was intended as a donation to
the local cops and firemen. Or maybe Kenny is donating five dozen donuts
for every pre-season assist.

Joe

p.s. Perhaps Kestas can help out here, but how many calories do athletes
burn off in a day compared to average people. I figure around 7000 calories
a day? I guess they could easily work off a 260 calorie donut (but maybe
not a dozen). I'm trying to convince myself I'm overreacting on this whole
Krispy Kreme thing. Their Web site says each donut contains 110-130 fat
calories on average.

****