Hornet game 2

Lots of negatives in this game and was quite similar to the Celtics at the
first half of last season. To start, I would have to say that Obie was
outcoached on this one. First, the Hornets have made great strides in the
past week, mostly on defense. They were playing a modified zone throughout
the game. They were doubling Pierce in the low box in before the entry pass
was made. They were dropping down a player from the 3 point line to the free
throw line to jam any penetrators. The Celtics were playing last year's
defense and offense.

Another reason I thought Obie got outcoached was because he had to realize
that the Celts just played the Hornets and beat them. To magnify this, this
is the exhibition season and these games don't count. So you got to find a
way to get the team interested in playing. Therefore, you need to change
things up. Maybe press. Start a couple of rookies or somthing. Instead we
started the worst athletic, the worst defensive, and the smallest team you
can put on the court. Now the Hornets play the power game, something I
previously mentioned that the Celts don't do well against unless Pierce and
or Walker get hot. Well Pierce wasn't hot. We got manhandled on the boards
with the Hornets much more physical at the 3,4 and 5 position. With a lineup
of KA, Williams, Pierce, Walker and Blount, the starting Hornets are better
athletes and more physical at every position. We finally started getting some
rebounds when Obie started playing both VP and Battie. However, Battie thinks
he is Walker becomes a jumper shooter wannabe. The tide finally turned in the
fourth when Obie put in VP and Kedrick Brown. Now VP is no great rebounder
but at least he can box out Lee Nailon and Magloire, something that Blount or
Walker couldn't do. Kedrick is just a point a minute player because he can
just physically take people. All you need a is couple of players who are
physically superior  and you can hold your own. We made a run and cut it from
23 to single digits but Obie took out Walker and that was that.

VP looked a lot better this game. This was because he was playing against
some guys who weren't that talented, just muscled like he is. Therefore, he
just had to hold his own and he looked alot better than Blount, who doesn't
do anything anymore. Battie did a few things but needs to be in a running
game to be more effective.

Walker was the normal, hardworking, low efficiency player we have come to
know. Pierce was horrible. If he is the best player on the team, he has to
find ways to contribute when he is not scoring.

Forte is looking more comfortable but I think he needs to be a little more
aggressive with his shot off the dribble. JJ was a little disappointing to
me. He needs to be more aggressive with his shot. I am also afraid that he
will never dominate in any area. It is all dependent on the scoring. He does
everything well but that doesn't mean much unless you can average 15 points a
night at his posiition. He is just a rookie though.

Kenny is a slug. It doesn't contribute anything and he sets a poor example
for defense. Typically, the point guard leads the defense intensity because
you are on the ball and all the other players have their eyes on you. He just
mopes around, no energy. Can't shoot anymore. Palacio has more drives to the
rim. He is just running out the string and the paychecks.

Palacio has definitively improved his shooting over last year. He should be
starting and I hope he keeps it up. He seems a little more careless about his
ball handling but it is just the exhibition season.

Kedrick Brown is just a manchild. Why is he the only one who runs down the
court for a fast break? It is not a coincidence that he spends a lot of time
at the line because he just physically overpowers people. Can't wait until
Obie realizes what he's got here and give him primetime and call plays in the
low post for him.

Williams didn't add anything and seems to have some kind of leg injury.

We didn't learn much from this game, especially the way Obie approached it.
We did find out how other teams are going to play defense. We had another
lesson, similar to many last year, on how we match up poorly when playing
power teams (Walker at small forward, anyone?). I hoped this game closed the
book for Kenny and Blount as the starter. I don't mind starting Williams but
I want him on a tight leash for a quick Brown or Johnson substitution. I also
hope that Obie was able to gain a greater appreciation of what Kedrick brings
to this team. I am not talking about dunking. I talking the ability to
finish, to gain position at the low post, to play chest bumping defense.
Kedrick has to be part of the rotation. He is the only player on this team
that has the physical ability to be something special......

DJessen33