Wow!

      Jackson says he's headed back to Warriors after they match offer

October 16, 2001
HOUSTON (AP) -- Free agent center Marc Jackson said Monday night the Golden
State Warriors have matched the contract he was offered last month by the
Houston Rockets.
Houston signed the 6-foot-10 Jackson to a six-year, $24.37 million contract,
but the Warriors had the right of refusal.
``I can't believe it,'' Jackson told Houston television station KRIV. ``This
is the worst case scenario for me. Once I signed with Houston, I wanted to
be with Houston. I think I made that perfectly clear.''
Jackson said he will probably rejoin Golden State on Wednesday, pending
successful completion of a physical.
``The funny thing when you do something to somebody that isn't right, it'll
come back on you. The funny thing is they are going to try and trade me,''
he said. ``But the funny thing is I have to consent to the trade. They
didn't do me any favors, so what makes them think I'm going to do them a
favor?''
The Rockets had hoped Jackson would replace Hakeem Olajuwon who was traded
to the Toronto Raptors.
Jackson, a second-round draft pick out of Temple in 1997, averaged 13.2
points and 7.5 rebounds last season.
When informed of the Warriors' move after the Rockets' 81-77 exhibition
victory at Portland on Monday night, Houston coach Rudy Tomjanovich held up
his hands in disbelief. Told that Jackson was disappointed to be going back
to Golden State, Tomjanovich said, ``Well so are we.''
``It's out of our control, so we just have to accept it and go from here,''
Tomjanovich said. ``It would have been great, but it's not happening. We
wish him luck, he's a good guy.''
Email this story - (View most popular)
updated at Mon Oct 15 22:00:03 2001 PT

  Help

Copyright ) 2001 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of
Service - Help
Copyright ) 2001 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information
contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten
or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated
Press.