my observations

My observations:
I felt the game was vey anticlimatic. We had waited all summer to see what
the improvements, short-term and long term might be and the three rookies got
limited playing time. It was just a replay of last year. However, there were
still some nuggets.

Battie showed that he was going to be the starting center. It will really
nice to see a Celtic player who could get some offensive rebounds. Battie
looked a little stiff but was probably 75% of where he was when he was
injured. That is still better than Vitaly or Blount. Vitaly showed some solid
low post defense when they gave up some unnecessary overaggressive fouls
after playing some pretty good defense. Man, if we could just combine Battie
and VP together. We would have some kind of center. Blount didn't have much
opportunity.

Walker looked slightly improved, IMO. Seemed very confident in the midrange
jumper(that's the improvement). Passed well to start the game. Later, he got
into his normal drive into a crowd and getting stuffed. I will say that the
team looked lost when Walker was out of the game. I like Battie playing as
Walker''s reserve but he seems to be playing the center spot along with
whoever else is playing center.

Pierce wasn't involved in the offense unless he brought the ball down
himself except for the end of the game. The Cs played some real nice defense
and Kenny was making the early pass up the court. This allowed the team to
run up an early lead. However, they and Kenny changed all that in the second
half and then it was a contest. Walker went into his personal duel against
the Hornets scrubs when the game was on the line. Surprisingly, Obie took him
out with 4 minutes to go. He returned a minute later with his head together
and the game plan of getting the ball to the go-to-guy, Pierce. Pierce showed
his almost invincibility by schooling a  good defender, Augmon, taking the
game over and caring the team to the win.

At the 6 minutes mark, I said we had the most unathletic team we could on the
floor--Kenny, Williams, VP, Pierce and Walker. That team wasn't going to stop
anybody.

Kenny passed early but reverted to his old self. As a sign of things to come,
Obie took out Kenny and put in Palacio at the 2 minute mark. Kenny didn't
seem to like it. Kenny had done some good things during the game but couldn't
shut down some white boy scrub at point guard. Although was put in for his
defense, he hit two key jumpers as the Celts put it away. His midrange
shooting looked like it had improved, at least for this game. At the 2 minute
mark, the best players were in the game--Battie, Walker, Palacio, Pierce and
Williams. Hopefully, Johnson will surplant Williams soon.

Another surprise was that Forte actually looked like he might be able to
eventually play point guard. Not in the classic Cousy sense but perhaps the
Sam Cassell style. He was able to reasonably bring up the ball in the dogged
Baron Davis muscle defense. The big test will be how he reacts when they
throw the press at him. This is where I believe the Celts gave up on Herron
last year. Herron does look up the floor, is gritty and can shoot a little
from the three. However his left hand dribble is a little weak. When a team
is pressing, the team looks to the point guard to lead them. A NBA point
guard should be able to break down one man and most of the time two men. Last
year, Herren would allow himself to be trapped and then look and beg for
someone else to pass to. Flipping it over to Walker to bring it up was the
ultimate surrender. He still has a chance in this league but I believe his
weakness to his left and lack of superior quickness will finish him this year.

Johnson showed some excellent ball handling skills in transition. He looked
unselfish to a fault however. We will see if it was just rookie-ites. He made
a bunch of turnovers. It seemed to this well-trained eye that he wasn't aware
of the quickness of the game at the NBA level as guys were jumping and
sniping at him and he was kind of falling all over the place. This may be
exhibition but it isn't summer league.

McCarty was McCarty. See last year.

Erik Williams did well but he always looks good at the start of the season.
When the regular season starts, the refs don't call the fouls on his junk and
he is just left with some wild shots at the rim. He did make a three and made
some great steals. Obie seems to like him so if he can keep that up, maybe
that will give the rookies some time to mature.

Talk about a lost offense. We had Forte at PG with Brown at the 2. Blount was
at center with Battie at the four and Erik Williams at the three. These guys
looked like they had never played together. They all just looked at each
other and ran around at the 3 point line. In defense of the rookies, Blount
and Battie have no offense at all. Erik took a couple of the opportunities to
make his wild dash to the rim with mixed results. Now, Obie should know
better to throw in the rookies without a Walker or Pierce for them to play
off of. Forte also got a good taste of toast on defense as Baron Davis took
him hard to the rack.

Hopefully, the rookies will get more playing time on the road.

As for the ratings,  I do like to see the herd finally come to my way of
thinking and downgrading the Heat and Knicks. However, I may change my mind
on the Knicks if they get Mason. I feel that the Hawks are way overrated. If
SAR was so good, why weren't the Grizzlies better? Kukuc is  getting creaky
and Ratlif overachieved last year. Jason Terry is a liability on defense. I
think they will be better but they are in the Celts league, IMO (right with
the Knicks, Pacers and Heat)....

DJessen33