More Forte in the Globe

In the Globe, Joe Forte sounds a bit discouraged (after all he had been
aiming for Rookie of the Year) but sees some opportunities to make an
scoring impact down the road. We take it for granted these days, but its
pretty amazing to hear a 6-4 player saying he's too "undersized" to play
anything other than point guard in the NBA. He'd be forced to play center
on my Paris club team.

Joe

------
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/285/sports/Forte_biding_his_timeP.shtml

''There is not much you can do in four minutes,'' Forte said yesterday.
''Just take care of the basics, don't turn the ball over. It's part of
building a career.''

''In the pros, there are super athletes, but there is always room for guys
like me who can shoot the ball,'' Forte said. ''Shooting is a natural
thing. I always felt like I could shoot, ever since I was in eighth grade,
and I've worked on it a lot.

''I will take [an important] shot, I hoped I proved that in college. We
have two superstars and my role is to back them up. All they want is for
you to hit the open shot when they are double-teamed. How hard is that?''

''You have to be eager, you have to want to get in, but you have to be
patient, too,'' Forte said. ''I believe I can break into the lineup here
because I shoot the ball extremely well. I'm undersized for the 2-guard,
and I need to learn to play the 1.

''This team has two superstar players, and everyone else who is out there
is a role player.

''There are a lot of spots, a lot of opportunities open because the team
didn't make the playoffs. You don't want to go to a top team because, then,
you are really not going to play because the coach doesn't need to put you
in. But when a team is not winning, they are looking for remedies, and
there are opportunities for rookies.''