re: EW's defense

> From: "j.hironaka" <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>
> 	Many of you have probably already seen this earlier quote from Obie
> about
> our starting small forward. What's everyone's opinion on this? I know some
> of you think Eric's impact on defense is overrated.
>
> "I'm a big Eric guy, always have been. Eric gives us the defensive
> tenacity
> that is so important to our basketball team. When I first got the job, the
> first thing I did was put Eric in because of that reason because I think
> he
> will do whatever it takes defensively. He is such a vocal player, good at
> directing people in a commanding way without ruffling anybody's feathers.
> He takes great pride in not only how he plays defense but those who are on
> the floor with him."

You can see (and hear) EWill talking on defense on the broadcasts, but I
don't think it's possible to understand him, so I can't speak to his
ability to direct his team on defense.  Watching the first half of
yesterday's game, I was impressed with EW's offensive ability and
remembered more fully his good points, but I don't get this defensive
thing.  As someone mentioned, he plays hard on D, I just don't think he's
anything above average.  I don't see being able to guard people his size
or bigger down low, and he's not quite quick enough to guard perimeter
players in the NBA, either.  When I think EW, one of the first things that
pop into my head is "tweener".  Maybe it's all about the desire to play
defense, though?  If EW can impart that to other guys on the team, that's
not bad.

Regards,

(The Celtic "Tird",
  Celticus "tirdius")