Re: [...]''He's in fantastic physical condition,.. ."

Time to wrap this up - since I find some credence in the criticisms leveled
at the Celtics over the years, and you thoroughly disbelieve them, further
discussion is pointless. Just to clarify some things in the wake of the
discussion:
1) Again, I do not believe Red was "showcasing" black players  in the early
days. My point was that, even though he went for talent first and foremost,
it does not automatically make him a non-racist. It would not preclude him
from filling out the bench - players who, in basketball terms, hardly add
anything anyway - with guys whom the majority of the fans can identify with
despite their abnormal height. It's an admittedly weak argument, because it
appears to rest on nothing other than allegations by journalists which I
can not prove.
2) The above paragraph should address the sarcastic remarks by Jim Hill
about white Celtics in the Hall of Fame - I wasn't talking about the main
rotation players who made it on talent regardless of their race, only the
bench warmers.
3)  Michael, your point about separating the actions of the media from
those of the Celtics is valid. They are separate entities, even if they act
in collusion occasionally.
4) If Herren proves to be a good player for the Celtics, I'll admit that I
was wrong about the reasons he was signed for, whatever they may have been.
Kestas

Only two days left until the first game!