Re: [...]''He's in fantastic physical condition,.. ."

--- You wrote:
I get incensed with  stupid dicussions about BWS's and great white hypes and
roster moves for racial purposes..

If you are a Celtics fan  (or an NBA fan in general) you are barking up the
wrong tree if you are looking for  white heroes.

Nobody is going to contribute to the Celtics business bottom line by buying
tickets or Foxsports Net o see a white guy come off the bench at the end of
ball

games.

Attributing racial motives to Red Auerbach is vile bile and BS of the highest
order. He drafted the first black player,  had the first black head coach, and
was

the first guy to dare present an all black  starting five. Ask William Felton
Russell if he thinks Red acts with the suspect  motives some of our esteemed

posters  think he does.

If the Celtics win they will succeed financially, Having white guys on the
roster doesn't mean squat to the people who support the Celtics as fans

so it has no value to the owners or  to that purveyor of BWS's , President Red.
I'm really disgusted at the normally cogent comments of Joe H and Kestas.

Michael A. DiZio
--- end of quote ---

Well, be disgusted, be sanctimonious about it, make self-righteous remarks
about how Red and the Celtics never ever ever never did something like this.
You are either ignorant about certain inglorious aspects of Boston  Celtics'
history, or one of those types who think that, if they pretend really hard that
something didn't happen, then maybe it would become reality.  Either way, it's
a knee-jerk, unthinking response to what I think are fair comments about an
obviously PR-motivated signing.

The fact that we've been blanketed by press coverage of an inconsequential
player with a checkered history only corroborates my and Joe's point. How many
profiles on other, much more important to this team players have we had in the
last month? The fact of the matter is that the Celtics *know* that even if
Herren doesn't play a minute in a real game, he'll still be good for arousing
thousands of casual fans' interest in the team and probably a few hundred
tickets a night, for the reasons Michael King mentioned in his post. Most fans
follow teams for two primary reasons: 1) they are interested in certain players
they know and root for; 2) the team is winning and it's fashionable to be
perceived as its fan (viz. the Lakers' Hollywod "fans"). Gaston, remember,
actually expects the Celtics to be an efficient and profitable business
enterprise, so it makes complete business sense to cater to the customer base.
While Herren doesn't add much in terms of winning %, he will contribute to the
bottom line.
Kestas