From: JB <JBMetzEA@Yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:06:53 -0400
To: "Celtic's Stuff" <Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Celtics' Stuff ''He's in fantastic physical condition,..."

CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Herren deal is all set
Guard is ready for return engagement
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/4/2001
WALTHAM - With his release from the Italian team Fortitudo Bologna
finalized, the Celtics signed Chris Herren yesterday, ending several days of
uncertainty for the point guard from Fall River. Herren participated in a
practice at the Celtics' training facility shortly after he was signed.
''He was signed and he's in practice and he's a member of the team and we'll
see how it goes,'' said Celtics general manager Chris Wallace. ''He has a
legitimate chance to make the team because he was with us last year, shoots
the long ball very well. He can push the basketball and move it as a
playmaker. He has some attributes that are very attractive to us. He also
has experience with this team and coach [Jim] O'Brien. He can shoot the
3-pointer as was evidenced in April at Washington when he played a big part
in our win.''
Although Wallace did not want to specify the terms of the deal with Herren,
there is a good chance the third-year point guard will remain with the team
into the regular season.
''I'm not making any gurarantees, but he has NBA experience,'' said Wallace.
''In looking over the candidates in free agency at point guard, he was the
best choice for this team at this particular time. This was the guy we were
waiting for. He's higher caliber than someone you sign just for training
camp. He has to earn a spot, but there is a possible spot to be earned
here.''
The Celtics entered training camp with 14 players signed for the season,
though the NBA permits a 15-man roster. Wallace wanted to keep a spot open
in case a special need presented itself. Since Randy Brown pulled his right
groin and is expected to miss training camp, the Celtics were looking to add
another point guard, at least for preseason. But there is also uncertainty
about Brown's long-term health and the Celtics don't want to find themselves
with a depleted point guard corps as they did last year.
Herren, who played 25 games for the Celtics last season, was just one of the
Boston point guards who struggled through injury last season. Last year,
Herren missed 34 games because of right shoulder surgery. But now he can put
to use his previous stint with the Celtics and the rigorous fitness program
he followed in Italy.
''He's in fantastic physical condition, due to his stint in Italy, where he
was practically running cross-country,'' said Wallace. ''He's benefited from
that experience.''
Mr. President
The Celtics did the right thing when they restored Red Auerbach to the
position of team president yesterday. Auerbach is now vice chairman of the
board and president of the organization.
''Red Auerbach has been the cornerstone of our franchise for over the past
five decades and he was the man who developed the tradition with the Boston
Celtics,'' said chairman of the board Paul Gaston in a statement.
This story ran on page E6 of the Boston Globe on 10/4/2001.
) Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
finalURL =
"http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168643.1620686.3168692.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050671
05:HM/A=799560/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?overstock3+sho
pping:dmad/M=168643.1620686.3168692.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705067105:HM/A=79
9560/R=1/1002190114+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.overstock.com/rmi
-framed-url/http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi%3Fcid=12715"; var
flashFileURL = "http://java.yahoo.com/a/1-/flash/misc/osyahooswf_0925.swf";
var noFlashImg =
"http://java.yahoo.com/a/1-/flash/misc/osyahooalt_0925.gif"; function
makeNewWindow(url) { var newWindow = window.open(url); }