"I'm strong, I'm healthy, my mind is clear"

Subject: I'm strong, I'm healthy, my mind is clear
Date: Tue, Oct 2, 2001 9:26 AM
From: Tammo29

Kenny to assist Celts, victims

Tuesday, October 02, 2001
By Bill Doyle
Telegram & Gazette Staff
WALTHAM -- Kenny Anderson has given himself extra incentive to bounce back
from his disappointing, injury-plagued season of a year ago.
    Each of Anderson's assists this season will result in not only a basket
for the Celtics, but a $50 donation by him to the families of those lost in
the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.
    Anderson, a native New Yorker, called Howard Stern's radio show in New
York yesterday morning to pledge $5,000 to Stern's relief fund, and $50 for
each of his assists this season.
    3I've been a big fan of his (Stern) for a long time,2 Anderson said.
3They were like, 'Wow.' You know how he is.2
    If Anderson matches his career average of 6.9 assists a game and plays
all 82 games, that will mean another $28,290. With two years left on his
seven-year, $46 million contract, Anderson can afford it.
    The father of Anderson's good friend, Mike Thompson, works three blocks
from the World Trade Center. After the first airplane struck, Harry Thompson
called his girlfriend to say he was going to help out. He hasn't been heard
from since.
    3I wanted to give to the cause and do something,2 Anderson said. 3People
are giving more than I am, but at least it's something.
    3The mourning and grieving is still there somewhat,2 Anderson said. 3I
worry about the war and the country because you don't know what's going to
happen.2
    When he averaged 7.1 assists with Portland in 1996-97, Anderson made a
similar pledge for sickle cell anemia.
    You could make a case that Anderson -- not Antoine Walker or Paul Pierce
-- holds the key to the Celtics' success this season.
    3I know that in my heart,2 Anderson said, 3but I'm not going to go out
and preach that right now because you will blow it up in the paper tomorrow
-- 'Kenny's the man.' But I know what I have to do. All I'll say is if I
play the way I'm capable of, we'll do all right.2
    The Celtics know what they can expect from Walker and Pierce. The same
isn't true of their point guard. Ten years in the NBA have taken their toll
on Anderson's body. Last season, a fractured jaw and sprained ankle limited
him to 33 games, and he wasn't very productive in those 33.
    The Celtics are a far better team with Anderson playing the way he did
two years ago, starting all 82 games and averaging 14 points and 5.1
assists.
    Anderson pronounced himself 100 percent healthy yesterday when he
arrived at HealthPoint for the start of training camp. But he turns 31 next
week and his best days may be behind him. With Randy Brown sidelined with a
pulled groin, Milt Palacio is the only other point guard on the roster.
    One thing Anderson never lacks is confidence. He feels he has nothing to
prove to Celtics fans this season.
    3They saw Kenny Anderson the year before,2 he said. 3They know what I'm
capable of doing, but everybody will have opinions. I can't get in their
minds, but I'm a thick-skinned person.
    3I'm been in the league 11 years,2 said Anderson, who is actually just
beginning his 11th season. 3If they don't know what I'm capable of doing
now, they'll never know. If I can't compete on a certain level that Kenny
Anderson can compete on, something is really wrong. I'm strong, I'm healthy,
my mind is clear.2
    Anderson attributed many of his troubles last season to returning too
soon from his fractured jaw. With his jaw wired shut, he couldn't eat solid
food and lost 12 pounds. With the team losing, he rushed back and wasn't the
same player he was the year before.
    Anderson sat out the final 26 games of last season to rest his ankle so
he started his offseason workouts earlier than usual. He's in great shape.
    3It's very important Kenny stays healthy and plays well,2 Walker said.
3I'm not worried about Kenny. He has a lot of pride. He really wants to be a
part of what this team is trying to accomplish.2
    Celtics general manager Chris Wallace insists Anderson isn't old for a
point guard -- pointing to John Stockton still being productive at age 39.
But Stockton is a far better player than Anderson. When Stockton was
Anderson's age, he averaged 15.1 points and a league-high 12.6 assists a
game.
    The Celtics will settle for Anderson staying healthy, providing
leadership on the court, penetrating, and keeping the defense honest by
hitting a few jumpers. Walker, in the best shape of life after a rigorous
weightlifting program this summer, will pick up some of the slack by playing
as a point forward.
Tuesday, October 02, 2001

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong.
- John G. Diefenbaker
Rock Chalk
Lady Hawk