Re: A Win?

> From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>
>
> At 16:49 11/28/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >create their own shots right now.  However, the team needs two things
> >(other than to quit trying to make Tony Battie, Vitaly Potatpenko, and
> the
> >ersatz Mark Blount into UCLA high post passers)
>
> Unfortunately, I think it's the real Mark Blount :)

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right, but I was referring to a guy
who actually *started* for the team last year, and showed signs of
improving.  Where has that guy gone?  Where has the guy wearing No. 30
spirited him away to?  Which one's the "real" player?  We don't need to
make cap room to sign him if it's the guy who's playing now... .

> Well, he [Pierce] IS a top-notch scorer, at #3 in the league.

Right.  But you wouldn't know it sometimes around here, or from the
general NBA coverage.  That's somewhat to be expected, with Boston's
less-than-spectacular past seasons, and it's also probably about ready to
change, what with all the SI coverage and all.  Frankly, I thought he was
a top-notch scorer last year, though he never got pressured like he is now
by other teams.  Of course, there are new rules that make that easier.

>  >All-Star?  I'll say.  If the team in even near .500 he's got to make the
> >team.
>
> I get a feeling that this year (unlike last year) he's viewed by everyone
> as an unquestionable All-Star. And that's what counts, not the stats.
> Stats
> don't vote you in, 12-year-olds and NBA coaches do....

It's true.  It's the perception more than anything else.  And I'd think
the whole "Shaq-says-he's-the-TRUTH" would count in the minds of many, as
well.  I agree, the All-Star voting is ridiculous, but that's a popularity
contest for you.  I guess I always make a distinction in my head between
guys deserving the "All-Star" tag and guys who get picked for the game:
the former is a list of guys in my mind (and yours, and lot's of others)
and the latter are the 12-year-olds' picks.  I would think, to NBA players,
  it'd be a bigger deal to get picked by the coaches as a reserve than to
have the kiddies vote you in.

> > And frankly, I don't see Walker lagging all that far behind in the
> >voting, either.
>
> ....and that's why Walker will have a uphill battle, despite the weaker
> competition at his position.

Huh?  I agree Walker will have a harder time making the team, just not
sure why you think so.  I meant Walker-as-deserving-of-"All-Star"-tag as
opposed to getting voted in.  I wouldn't surprise me if my strange way of
thinking was to blame for me not understanding here.

Bird
(The Celtic "Tird")