Re: Kedrick Brown

At 10:02 26/11/01 -0800, Michael Joseph Byrnes wrote:
>You've got to hand it to Jim O'Brien.  Who else can spend a week whining
>and bitching about his team's defensive play, and then refuse to play
>Kedrick Brown, who played well defensively,  because he looks
>uncomfortable on offense.
>If that makes sense to anyone other than O'Brien, please explain...
>
>Michael

I read that "uncomfortable on offense" quote and thought geez all along I
assumed Kedrick was merely trying to be a teacher's pet (by jacking up
three 3-pointers as per the Obie method). I'm not sure I blame Kedrick for
being confused about O'Brien's offense. A lot of fans are too. In the last
two 4th quarters, I'm thinking even "Conan" O'Brien might have been able to
coach the Celtics to wins. I'd even give "Opie" from the Andy Griffith Show
even odds.

This wellspring of pessimism on Obie can be blamed at least in part on
mistimed PR.

Opie started the week saying that teaching offense gives him a migrane,
then his team shoot .365 and get held to the mid 80s in all three games,
and so he ends the week by preaching more defense. Now he's anxiously
looking forward to giving major playing time to a guy (EW) who is shooting
.220 from the field this year, .362 last year. Obie needs to reassure the
fans a bit better than he is at least cognizant of his team's slump in
scoring and FG%. I'm sure he is, but he ought to say something about it.

BTW, I do hope Eric Williams make a difference. Since his blown-out knee, I
think EW is probably "all talk" on defense as opposed to a guy who actually
makes plays (which Kedrick and Joe have apparently shown they can). But it
does sound like EW knows what he's doing, and talk is good sometimes. He
clearly views himself as providing the middle linebacker chatter to keep
the Celtics alert and on the same page. If he can stop his own guy, that
would be a bonus obviously.