execution of players

>................``We didn't really execute the plays that coach drew up late
>in the game,
>and it cost us,'' said Pierce.
>
>   The above quote  by Pierce, that the team did not execute the game plan
>is revealing. The debate between Pitino fans and detractors often hinged on
>the concept that the team quit on him, refused to play his style. My
>question is this? Doesn't the coach watch the game? If Pierce, Walker,
>Anderson aren't running your plays, why are they on the floor?

I don't think this is a case of the players quitting on the coach, or
refusing to run his plays. PP said that the did not "execute" the coaches
plays. This does not mean they didn't attempt them. It's not as if JO'B
called out "play 1!" from the bench and the AW or PP or KA or whoever
decided to call out "play 2!" Not executing means that they ran the play,
but not well enough to score. Maybe someone set a sloppy screen, or threw a
bad pass. Execution is in the details!

Nathan A.

This reminds me of the NFL coach (at Tampa long ago, forget his name), when
he was asked, "what do you think of you team's execution?"
He said, "I'm in favor of it."