Re: FW: [Celtics' Stuff Re: FW: Hope for the future provided that certain peo...

JB,
I don't think Obie changed the defense. I don't think that was the problem. I
do have to say that I couldn't believe that the C's didn't do a little hard
fouling during the lights out performances by the Hawks. I think the extra
trapping we have seen is from old Pitino habits of players trying to create
some havoc. Perfect example was the unnecessary doubling of Rip Hamilton by
Walker that allowed Laettner the open jumper to win the game. There was
absoultely no need to double there and there wasn't enough of a pick for
Walker to think a switch would be necessary. I think the Cs played great
defense against the Raptors. But you need difference makers. Kedrick was a
difference maker on D against the Wizards. Palacio also did his part. It
isn't enough to challenge the shot. The need the fear of a rejection to be
placed in these pros minds. I think Strickland,  Kenny and JJ played about as
good as they could defensively against the Hawks, Raptors etc. It is just
they don't have the athletic ability to be a difference maker. If you aren't
a difference maker on the defensive end, you better be above average on the
offensive end or you shouldn't be out there.

As for the offense, I have already stated my case about the lack of the
running game and the questionable 3 point shooting. I think Tommy made a
great point on how some of the Cs (Kedrick, JJ) likely aren't comfortable yet
shooting at the pro 3 point line and maybe they should be lineing up a couple
of feet closer or give them the fake and move into a position where their
they can be more consistent. This would be a great question for Obie with his
seemingly infatuation with the 3.

On another note, it was interesting to see Shira Springer get a call out for
a Larry Joe return to the Cs from MJ for mentoring and leadership. The
pressure will mount on Obie if this slide continues. With Walker being our
true leader and his obvious need of daily veteran leadership, you got to
start and wonder what Larry Joe could do. You also have to wonder what it
would take to get him back. I am starting to think (along with MJ) that the
Cs (with Walker as the leader) aren't going to do it without someone to guide
them. It seems to me that Obie's philosphy is to just let them play. I would
hate to have to wait until next year to find out. I guess that is going to be
my Plan B (bring Larry back as coach). Plan A is to get as many minutes as
possible for the core (Palacio, JJ, Brown, Pierce, Walker, Battie) and to run
as often as possible...