RE: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V8 #379

Actually, I recall Fortson, towards the end of his time with Boston, playing
some solid position defense on guys like Mourning, Campbell, and the other
under sized centers in the East.  I watched him battle Shaq better than any
other big man when he was with Denver. Sure he is short, and can't jump but
he is wide and immovable with long arms.  He can battle every bit as well as
Vitaly but doesn't have the skillets for hands.  I think he is at more of a
disadvantage trying to cover quick power forwards than he would be covering
7 footers because he doesn't give up position on the block and most 7
footers don't have the quickness to beat him off the dribble.  They can
shoot over him but they have to go through him to get to a favorable spot on
the floor.

Battie still gets pushed around too easy for my tastes.  Even the finesse
Vin Baker had his way with Battie the other night.

I do like your choice of the big lineup.  JJ needs work on his defense but,
by next year, should be a more than capable defender against guys that are
smaller than him.  It is clear that he will be very capable of running an
offense fairly soon.  The problem is that Pierce still cannot defend
shooting guards and Walker cannot defend big power forwards.  It is hard to
mask the deficiencies
of both players unless there is a dominating defensive presence behind them
which, of course, there isn't.