Re: Rookie watch

   Joe; I love your efforts at bringing us the "Rookie watch." Thank you.
   While we all have heard that; hindsight is better than foresight, on most
days; we are particularly interested in this years draft class because of
the unorthodox pick of Kedrick Brown and the ballyhoo of taking the best
players available instead of picking for positional need..
   There were two players Tinsley and Murphy, who most pollsters figured the
C's would take at 11. These were both players who filled a need and knew how
to play basketball. Instead we went for the athletic kid (just like last
year) and filled no needs. Ironically, if we had taken Murphy with the 11
pick, we could have had Tinsley at 21.
   I don't want to say that Forte is a bust or Kedrick Brown won't be the
next Tracy McGrady, but it does seem we would be a lot better team with the
fore mentioned players.
  Can anyone tell me why Forte has been disabled? He had a breakout game
against Cleveland and then he is forgotten. Did he take too many shots?
Rookies aren't supposed to do that you know. Will Walker and Pierce complain
to the coach about Joe Johnson? Will Johnson be the next victim of "Helenic
flu?"  as punishment for stealing thunder?
   I missed the NJ and Bucks game, so I'm a little behind the learning
curve, but it seems from the posts that Walker has lowered his head to the
ground and is taking more of the play making  away from Anderson. For much
of the preseason, under Anderson's floor leadership, the team was running
and Walker was moving the ball around. Why has that stopped?
   George Karl has thrown down the coaching gauntlet. This is O'Brien's
challenge. He has helped create the concept that it is a star driven team,
that Walker and Pierce have the ordained right shoot as much as they like.
If he wants to be an NBA coach for more than a short run, he will have to
teach them that passing and team play is the key to success.
   Imho, Walker's poor 2 point % results from trying to create his offense
too far from the basket, another drawback from his setting up outside. He
wants so badly to be a Kobe Bryant type player, with that quick first step
and that high slam finish, but he just can't get up like that and his drives
start from way too far out for his agility level.
   The team needs a low post threat in the half court. If Antoinabee would
set up down low, as Pitino tried to get him to:
   1. He could be effective scoring, or passing out of the double teams that
would have to come. He could also score on putbacks of offensive rebounds,
which we haven't seen since Fortson limped out of town.
   2. Anderson would be able to control the offense and get shots for our
centers and any player who decides to come off a pick or cut to the basket.
   3. Johnson, Forte and Strickland would be able to create a bit in the
half court and all are unselfish, can pass and will shoot a much higher %
than Walker.

                 JB

Unchain My Heart!