Re: What We Learned From The New Jersey Game

At 22:33 31/10/01 -0500, David J. Boutte wrote:
>"Anybody who analyzes one NBA game to death doesn't understand the
>league very well. Once isn't a trend."  (Wilbon)

I still can't get over or forgive that Toine had a horrible game. He hurt
his team at every turn, missing wide open shots, forcing shots, and doing
nothing to set up his teammates or make plays on defense.

But like the Wilbon quote aptly implies, we ought to put this in perspective.

For instance, what if two games into this season you had a purportedly
talented "franchise player" gunning away to the tune of .250 from the field
overall, bricking at .250 from three-point range, and coughing up 4.0
turnovers per game? Answer: his name would be "Vince Carter".

What if the Boston Celtics "best all around player" was averaging 7
turnovers for every assist? Well that would be Paul Pierce....Walker's
ratio so far is 1.8 assists per turnover.

Antoine's game last night was far below what he'll contribute this year. It
was a horrible game. The last two shots he made after reentering the game
with 3 minutes left spared him from a shooting performance to that point
(4-27) that fully reflected just how bad he was. Obie should have sat his
ass down earlier, frankly, but Pierce's foul trouble made that impossible.

Joe

****