Re: penny stocks

At 07:18 31/05/01 -0600, Gene Kirkpatrick wrote:
>I think the Battier's and Tinsley's of the world are demeaned somewhat
>because they have already shown the ability to get better, round out
>their talent, show not only an ability to defend but a desire to do
>so--and for all that, we suggest they may not have terrific upside!  I
>understand that, but they have also shown what we want:  the ability
>to harness ability and desire and get better.  Will they continue to
>improve?  Well, they have a good track record after four years of it
>in college.

         I found Dave Cowens' recent statement on this subject
interesting...I'm paraphrasing but basically Cowens said that for a NBA GM
to suggest that a 22-year-old basketball player shouldn't get drafted
higher because he had already "plateaued" was the most retarded thing he
had ever heard. Twenty-two years old. Geez...

         I realize "Gramps" Battier played four years in college, but back
when he was still "young" and full of potential (a sophomore) he turned
that potential into the first of three straight NCAA Defensive Player of
the Year awards, and put up solid stats on a Final Four team. The notion
that some of this year's crop of NCAA underclassmen would be further
developed than Battier if they also had stayed in school until there senior
year really is pure speculation.

         There's no debate, Battier had an awesome Senior season. If he put
the same numbers up for a different ACC school, even a second tier ACC
school, you wouldn't hear any of these unfair "next Roshown McLowd, Johnnie
Dawkins" criticisms. Or if Battier did what he did last year and was a WB
(in fact he's half white I guess), fans and experts alike would have him as
a top-three lock.You can't have a better all-around year than what he had,
all the way through to the final buzzer.

         As for Jamaal Tinsley, I thought Kevin Lee's analysis of where
Tinsley might get drafted was top notch. IMO that was exactly the kind of
post this list benefits from. Basically, Kevin seems to argue that if
Tinsley can slide past Golden State's second first round pick (#14) it
looks like he might fall all the way to us at #21, should we choose to take
him.

         Chris Wallace therefore really needs to work him out and decide
how badly we want him, compared to what else could be had at #10-11. I'm
really hoping for some high energy, high basketball IQ players. I
personally don't think Boston needs a third scorer nearly as much as we
need a great passer, or a great rebounder/shotblocker or a great defender.
Those kinds of players tend to rub off on their teammates. I agree Boston
needs a dependable third shooter, but not necessarily a third "scorer".
Obie shouldn't make this need into some kind of Holy Grail. The last time
we had a third shot hog (Mercer) we were a total mess. A team with Kenny,
Walker, Pierce and Mercer should have led the league in scoring, but nearly
the opposite happened.

----