Comments On Celtics Trade Rumor/Gasol Better Than Nowitzki/Draft/NBA/Workouts/Wallace& Papile

Celtics Hot Internet Trade Rumor

Let's start off with the hot internet Celtics trade rumor courtesy of
Josh Ozersky & ESPN Message Board (Alienbun):

The Bulls trade Bland, Mercer, the 4th pick & a 2nd round
choice to the Celtics for Walker, 10 & 11, and Cap fodder.

(Sure, why not. According to the Chicago papers,
Jerry's had enough, and he wants veteran players
like Webber/Payton who can make an impact.
After he's turned down on those two, Walker may
be very appealing.)

Gasol Better Prospect Than Nowitzki

According to Sportstalk via Cleveland Cavaliers International
Scout Rudy D'Amico, Pau Gasol is a better prospect than Dirk
Nowitzki was entering the NBA:  "'Gasol has more of a complete game,'''
D'Amico said . ``'His defense is better. Nowitzki was a very good
shooter back then, but he really started to develop his all-around game
after he got to the NBA. I think Gasol will do the same.'''

(Sounds like a no-brainer at 10/11, if he's luckily available,
which he might not be, since Cleveland is pondering him at 8.)

Are Wallace/Papile/O'Brien under too much pressure to draft
or trade correctly?

(An interesting question. If there's one draft that's perfect for
dealing
off Walker and moving up to acquire an impact player, then this
is the one. But as stated numerous times by themselves,
O'Brien/Wallace/Papile must produce a playoff team this season.
So I can see where, there would be a hesitancy to take
the risk at trading a known quantity like
Walker (as flawed as he is) for an unknown quantity with a
higher upside.

This also applies to the draft. Bad vibes are present, that rather
than go for the players with the most talent, the Celtics
may be heading toward drafting the ilk of Jamaal Tinsley
and others who will contribute right away, but in the long run
won't be as productive/have the impact as players like Gasol.)

Vince Carter Is Waiting On An Extension

(I'd offer Toronto:  Walker, 10 & 11 & Battie/Potapenko
for Carter and Davis {sign and trade}.  It seems
in the cards that both Davis and Carter are heading
south in the next two years. Will Toronto wait on dealing
Carter, figuring they can always get something for him
in a sign and trade?)

Celtics Workouts

Shira Springer reports in today's Globe that the C's had
Zach Randolph, Joe Forte, Omar Cook, Brendan Haywood,
etc. in for a workout.

(I think Forte will be better than people think; Haywood
you rebound may end up taken by the Pistons;
Zach is intriguing, but the Wallace/Papile mindset is
toward athletic big men, so I don't expect Randolph to
be drafted by the C's. Too bad.  It's basketball, not
the decathalon.)
Ray