Cofman: C's To Roll Draft Dice

Celts ready to roll dice
by Mark Cofman
Thursday, May 24, 2001

The NBA draft has always been a crapshoot. But the record-breaking
number of high school players and college underclassmen who have entered
the field this year could make the 2001 draft the biggest crapshoot of
all. To take it one step further, the heightened uncertainty that comes
with such a youthful field could work to the Celtics' benefit when their
turn to pick comes at No. 10.

A total of 75 early entries (52 underclassmen, 17 international players,
six high schoolers) are in the field, but there is no clear-cut No. 1
pick from that group. Consider also that at least four high school
players could be drafted within the first 6-8 picks, and that Duke's
Shane Battier will likely be the only senior selected among the top 10.

The Celtics could be in line to get an experienced collegian who could
help immediately. And if they exercise their option to take Denver's
pick at No. 11, the Celtics could go for a player with long-range
potential. The back-to-back lottery slots offer several options in a
year in which draft flexibility could turn out to be nearly as important
as draft position.

``You don't want to get carried away with that notion,'' said Celtics
general manager Chris Wallace, who is in Southern California this week
scouting potential draft picks. ``Obviously, you want to be at the top
end of the draft any time you can, regardless of the year and talent
coming out.

``We would have loved to have gotten one of those first three picks (at
Sunday's lottery drawing), but short of that, we're very happy to be in
the position we're in heading into this draft. There's talent out there
- some experienced and others longer-range projects. You take all of
that into account, as you do your team's needs.''

Said Celtics director of player personnel Leo Papile: ``There are
players out there in the draft who can definitely help us. There is also
the potential to trade the picks if the right deal comes along. We have
some options to explore here, but the bottom line is that if we're
making those picks come draft night, we're confident we can improve this
team.''